Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Finally with the Bow

boneil

After hanging onto my blind last night with the high winds and not seeing or hearing a single bird, wasn't sure I wanted to go out this morning or not. But a different farm to hunt got me out of bed. This is a place that I deer hunt quite a bit and have seen turkeys, just haven't spent a lot of time hunting them here. I set up on a road that runs through the middle of the timber at 5:10 am. First gobble at 5:40 am, 3-4 on my left quite a ways away, and then 2 on my right that I guessed to be within 150 yards or so. Thinking to myself could be a long sit in the double blind to get them called in. At 5:55 am I hear a turkey in the roost flapping its wings, could tell that it was pretty close, but it had never gobbled. At 6 am, I heard 2 birds fly down, as soon as one hit the ground, it let loose. I thought I am in the game, but it is directly behind my blind and I couldn't see it. Hit the slate a few times and nothing. Figured it was going to go with the other bird that had flown down. Throw in the Split V mouthcall in and hit it real soft. Barely get started, and boom another gobble, still can't see him, but he has to be pretty close. Hit the mouth call another 2-3 times, and each time he answers right back. I then shut up and wait. As I look out the back of the double bull, I finally see him all fanned out and going in a circle. Decide to hit the mouth call one last time, that did the trick, he see the pretty boy decoy and is on his way. Now you have to remember that this will be my first Tom with a bow, so the old heart is just beating, He is coming down the road that I walked in on. If he continues into the decoys which are 10-15 yards spread out in front of me, he is going to pass at about 3-4 yards. Sure enough he walks right by, god I had the video camera, it was awesome. I let him keep going right to the pretty boy, as he is staring it in the face, I draw back a let it fly right through his backside. I am scrambling trying to get through the window to see where he is going, and just in case I need a followup shot. He tries to take off, but I knew he was hit pretty bad. He falls 15 yards past the decoy at 6:10 am. First turkey with the bow, can't wait to do it again. 21 lbs, 1" spurs right and left, and a 10 3/4" beard. Not very thick but longer than I thought.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Top Bottom