Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Finding deer dead

NEI Buck Hunter

I was wonder how many of you find deer (bucks) dead during shotgun season. My group found two mature (160ish) buck this weekend. We endined up tagging both because of the size. Both deer had been shot up the rear to put it nicely. Both had good blood trails leading to them. Found both on sunday and we did not hunt the area until sunday. I know as a bow hunter I am more likely to trail something as long as possible, but shooting a deer this size, would you not want to find it!!??? I know trailing deer can be difficult, but give me a break.

Well, when the deer is running full steam away from you at 100 yards and you shoot at him 8 times through the timber how are you supposed to tell if you hit him?

Not to sound terrible, but I assume these blood trails were pretty fresh?? Maybe they were working on tracking them yet??

May have bumped him and wanted to give them time before a follow up. If that's the case it would be a shame that you tagged them

Right on poke and hope, lots of gun hunting, especially during drives, dont know if they hit the deer. Plus a lot of times they do not start bleeding right away. Thus a lot of guys look for blood at point of impact don't find any and assume they missed. I've found numerous deer for people who do not know how to tract

That's why I quit the Orange Army. Got tired of ducking all that lead thrown at deer as they ran away through the timber with your poke and hope methods.

I find 1-2 deer on my property with arrows stuck in them during first season shot gun. Always stuck in the hind quarters.

I've tracked a few rump shot deer back when I was a slug gun hunter. It's amazing how far a big deer can go if it doesn't hit the femoral artery. When an ounce of lead goes through that large chunk of meat they can leave a very persistent blood trail also. I've seen and heard of guys giving up after a while usually because their group wants to move on and do another drive. I'm not trying to bash all slug gun hunters. Just talking of my personal experience. There are a lot of good guys out there with shotguns in hand. Anyways, those butt-banged deer can be hard to catch up to or even see again. :)

have not found any from gun season, but found one gut shot doe in archery and two in september likely from ehd. those two were mostly just bones.

I've seen and heard of guys giving up after a while usually because their group wants to move on and do another drive. I'm not trying to bash all slug gun hunters. Just talking of my personal experience. There are a lot of good guys out there with shotguns in hand.

My dad had this happen to him several years ago. Shot a nice buck, wanted to track until he found him, but the rest of the group was adamant about moving on to another parcel (probably because no one else had shot anything and didn't want to wait around). Their land, so their rules I guess. Found the buck after season tangled in a fence. Dad got the rack, but not much else left of the deer. Sad, as it didn't even make it off their farm.

Top Bottom