Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

finding land to hunt

quick873

im trying to find some private land to hunt but im having a hard time. anyone have any advice or know a farmer that wouldnt mind having someone hunt on their land. this is my first deer season and havent had much luck on public land.

If ya can afford to do it I would just put an ad out lookin to lease something. Thankfully I have access to ground ive hunted for the last 14 years that I dont need to lease but someones always lookin to make some money, good luck. Nothing more frustrating then havin nowhere to go. And public ground is a pain!

It's frustrating how much hunting has changed. A guy used to be able to hunt w a handshake and knocking on the door.....now everywhere is leased up. Keep knocking and offer ur help around the farm. If a farmer let's u hunt, you should at least offer ur help in the off season.

Speaking from a landowner view and people just respect your land or your requests. I have told people not to shotgun hunt my property and the one time I go on vacation during that time a group pushes my land. I have them all over my game cams. Shells everywhere,fences bent, signs ripped up. So I tell everyone no. I tried to be understanding because I use to have to ask. But after last year it's always no now. And still am having issues with coon hunters. But since I can't figure out how's trespassing I am having them all trapped. Figure they can't hunt coons if there aren't any.

im trying to find some private land to hunt but im having a hard time. anyone have any advice or know a farmer that wouldnt mind having someone hunt on their land. this is my first deer season and havent had much luck on public land.

IMO, now is the WORST time to find permission. I try to line it up in the spring, before the farmers enter planting season.

As a landowner, I shake my head in disbelief at those knocking on the door a week before season (or during for that matter). My first thought is: Where were you when I was fixing fence, clearing brush, etc.....

Not sure what part of the state you are in, but I will give you what little advice I can. I realize some areas of the state are harder to gain permission on than others.

You don't have to lease. If you put the time in, you will gain permission just by asking. Start small. Get a plat book of the county (counties) you want to hunt, and look for smaller pieces of property. Even pieces that are only 10 acres. If it is the right 10 acres, it doesn't matter. I used to hunt a 12 acre place in Wapello county years ago that produced for me year in and year out. It was right on the Ottumwa city limit border. Quite a few (not all) bowhunters pass up those acreages.

Be courteous, have a business card or something with your name, phone, address on it, and above all, always thank the landowner for their time. Even if they turn you down. If they do, It also doesn't hurt to ask them if they know someone else who may allow you to hunt. When you do get permission, build a good relationship with the landowner, and it will open doors for you in the future. My wife and I received 2 calls this fall from landowners that wanted to know if we wanted to hunt their land! Yeah, thats right. They called us. One is 77 acres the other 80 acres. Both were referrals from other landowners whose ground we hunt.

Good luck. It will happen for you.:way:

I was thinking more next year. Its only my first year deer hunting so im not to worried about it. Im just starting to figure out I need to get my ducks in a row well ahead of opening day.

i know how you feel Quick , been asking around for 2 years. i think polk and warren are tougher since so close to des moines. i even thought about running an ad trading services for land access ( im a painting contractor )

Good luck to you tho , I'm sure It'll come eventually

public ground

don't know about your area but early is best to be asking place some need a place to hunt ads around where farmers go try to find city limit hunts some cities have them check with the DNR and see where deer populations are dense farmer's don't like to feed deer and try to harvest their living, bow hunting will help and if lucky and find a place offer up some venison or some other token of thanks, xmas card thanking them wouldn't hurt also, deer can withstand a lot of noise and activity so don't overlook any place that has timber and food and water,:way: good luck

Top Bottom