Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Archery Bird and a Double-Double

jkratz5

Well this is my first year carrying the bow while turkey hunting and I have to say it has been a blast. Yesterday morning I took my father-in-law out along with my 13yr old sister-in-law in hopes of putting him on a bird and took the bow along just in case. We settled into the blind about 5:20 and shortly after the gobblers started to sound off. A bunch of birds around us but only 2 that we felt were close enough to possibly pull in off the roost. I could hear birds start to pitch down but couldn't see them on the ground when I heard a gobble from behind the blind that was close. I peaked out the window and hear comes mister BA in full strut about 70 yds. Everytime I touched the slate he would gobble and after 2 minutes of so of showing off he had enough and came marching towards the decoys. The whole time my FIL cannot see the bird due to how we were setup in the blind so I narrated to him what the bird was doing. At 10 yds. the bird stepped behind a big oak and I told him to get the gun up and kill him. At this point he still has not seen the bird as he was walking right at the blind and we were trying to keep movement down until the bird's head was covered up. When he got the gun up he didn't know what he was shooting or where it was at. I whispered to him to put the gun right on my jake and just wait a second. 5 seconds later the gobbler appeared from behind the tree at a whopping 6 steps and just as he was about to tear the deke apart the 3.5" mag roared, BIRD DOWN!!!! My FIL was pumped as it was his first bird ever and we high fived and laughed about the situation for a second when he said those other two birds are still down there. Sure enough 50 yds away were two more toms in full strut. I hit the mouth call and got two gobbles in return and we were in business. This time we all got to watch the show as the two birds danced their way in to the dekes. At 10yds I let an arrow fly at the lead bird and crumpled him, the third bird just stood there and looked at his two buddies floppin on the ground and I completely forgot I had two tags otherwise we would have had 3 birds down. Anyhow we ended up with two 2.5 yr old birds, both of which were double bearders, just under 10" on the longest beard on both birds and about 1" for the second beard, 3/4" spurs. So first bird ever for the FIL, first bow bird for me, and I think a hooked 13 yr old. that will be taking a hunters safety course as soon as the next one is offered.

Dave-Jarin-2nd_Season_005-update_Large_2_.jpg

Congrats!

I've been waiting for you to post as I got a text message from Muddy on Saturday morning that you guys had scored.

The only way you can beat putting someone on their first animal is taking one yourself on the same hunt. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif Congrats.

Top Bottom