Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Big Buck

arrrgh11

Late in the afternoon on 12/22 I was fortunate enough to harvest my first big buck on my new hunting land. Movement that day was incredible. I did an all day sit on a rye/clover plot and we had deer moving in and out from 6:30am until 3:30pm when I shot this guy - an old mature deer we called Blade Runner because of his blade like brows.

This deer, along with AWOL (Chris's deer), and another deer we call witchy hung out together all summer and have quite a few pictures of them together (see the last picture below). About 3pm 4 does and a spike filtered in and like most of the deer that day they were really spooky. One of the does kept starring at me stomping her feet and blowing at me. I thought it was over as she did this for about 15 minutes until she finally got comfortable I guess. Then the deer on the right in the last picture below, witchy, came in just below my stand. He moved about 40 yds away from me and started chomping on the rye. Then about 3:30 a small 8 pt came in and was closely followed by blade runner. He came in and started walking straight away from me, but fortunately he stopped about 40 yds away and turned so he was quartering away from me. I fired the trusty TC and found him in the timber about 50yds away.

I was actually hoping AWOL would have followed him in, but I am really happy with this buck. He was a big, old warrior - I am guessing he is 5 or 6. I quickly did a rough score on him and his gross, as is, is about 165. Unfortunately he had a V shaped double brow on one side that had one side broken off and his G4 on one side was also broken off. If he hadn't broken those off he would of grossed just shy of 175. I was really surprised at his score, but he has great mass. His beams are over 6" in diameter.

IMG_3021_zps098fb0ad.jpg

IMG_3028_zpsb04d6b39.jpg

Blade Runner
PICT0347.jpg

Blade Runner, AWOL, & Witchy
66df78fe.jpg

Congrats Jim, he's a great buck. Yet another you have a lot of history with. He'll look great on the wall.

Top Bottom