Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First black bear hunt in Canada with bow!!

Heading to Ontario Canada in august for my first black bear hunt with my bow! Never been on a bear hunt before what are some things that I will need to bring that most people wouldn't think of? I heard the skeeters are bad that time of year so unscented bug spray and a good head net are a must I would say! What are some other things to bring or expect to have happen during a bear hunt this time of year?

Thermacells work pretty decent for the black flies and skeeters. You're going to need more than a headnet. I wore a full body mesh bug suit and duct taped every seam and STILL had black flies find their way in. After you experience black flies you will be begging to get back home where it's just skeeters and gnats. Those things are brutal.

Who are you hunting with?

We bear hunted in Ontario the week of labor day in 2010 and I never even needed my thermacell. I suppose it depends on the weather.

I went to Ontario twice and both hunts were in mid August. There hadn't been a frost yet so the bugs were terrible.

Where about in the province are you hunting? I would bring bug gear for sure. The weather can vary from 10-35 so bring all types of hunting gear. If we do get a early frost it still wont knock them all back. We are just getting our spring bear hunt back in some areas of the province (ones with higher populations) if spring hunts interest anyone, there coats are usually the nicest in the spring right away before they rub. I noticed a lot of bears last fall, tagged a few, seen a few others, overall a healthy pop of bears throughout the province.

Top Bottom