Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Bow Bird

Mr. Deeds

After only getting an hour of sleep last night. I had to force myself to go out this morning. And man did it pay off. Got into my blind nestled into an inside corner of a hickory timber about 550 and set my decoys up. I heard a gobble off in the distance gave a few yelps on my box call. Everywhere around me lit up, sounding like I was surrounded by an army of turkeys.

Not ten minutes later a good sized tom came strutting out and saw my half strutter and was on the attack. - Side note for anyone that has yet to hunt out of a blind with a bow, make sure you can pull back in the blind and have enough room... - So here I am, bow sticking out the now almost fully opened window of the blind and my elbow sticking out the other end, I let her rip and heard the thud. To my astonishment nothing happened. What seemed like an eternity but in reality was probably only 5 seconds go by, as I was nocking another arrow he got off my decoy, walked about 3 steps, and fell over dead.

As I was going to pick up my now prize, two more toms flew off the roost about 25 yards behind my blind, so jokingly I got behind the tail fan of my downed turkey and started letting out some horrible sounding gobbles. Surprisingly they came in about 15 yards strutting before they realized I was there.

25# Will measure spurs and beard when I get home!

image_13.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS!!! This is my first year turkey hunting and I am going at it with a bow. I have had success seeing birds and called a handful in, only to have them hang up on me....closest(a mature tom) came to about 40 yds and veered off. Giving it a go again tomorrow morning before church....hope it happens this time!

Congrats again...great accomplishment!!

Top Bottom