Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Dandy called

ironwood

I am having a few growing pain thru my first bow season but am completely hooked. I have not gained the experience to throw it into automatic as OneCam stated in an earlier post, but the experiences getting there are nearly as good as the kill. I turned a buck passing at about 120 yards with some light rattling and grunt calls only to misjudge his distance. I cut him across the top back. He stayed close enough after the shot that I could see the injury my arrow had caused. Lucky I am sure he’ll be out there working the rut. When he really committed and came to the calling I had trouble with just about everything from grabbing my bow to getting my release on the string. I was barely ready as he stepped out on a trail at a known distance then unexpectedly turned and I thought he was still about the same distance as his exit point. He was eight yards closer and I did not try and stop him. I’ll be thinking about this one for the rest of my life. He was the first dandy buck I put where I wanted, almost.

Do you always try and stop the buck before the release? It all happens so fast and I am questioning all of my actions. I am hear to humbly accept any wisdom you all can bring to this rookie bow hunter.

In five years experience I've always tried to stop a deer before I shoot.

It hasn't always worked, and I have taken shots at deer at a very slow walk and it's worked for me but it's a big judgement call with many variables involved.

Two out of the three deer I've shot while walking have been recovered with excellent shots. The other I hit high above the shoulder and he lived on.

For me it has to be a very slow walk, broadside, the deer can't be alert at all to anything being wrong, and I've kept my walking shots inside 10 yards.

Another note on two out of those three I did try to stop them first with them completely ignoring me. The other I didn't try to stop there was no time and I took him with a good clean shot.

Others will say never shoot when they are moving and I wouldn't say they are wrong, I'd just say we all have our own comfort levels, and stick within your own.

Jason

i generally like to try and stop them but sometimes there isn't enough time and sometimes they ignore you. You just have to find what works for you, but a still target is easier to hit. good luck, it will all fall in place for you as time goes on

Top Bottom