Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First deer with a stick and string!

Doe down! I find it very tough to find time to hunt with school and sports. I found a day to get to the stand after school one day. As i was walking to my stand, i heard some movement in the brush and a deer obviously snorting at me and stomping. Right there and then i thought the hunt was done with.

I nocked up an arrow, and proceeded to move very slowly through the thick timber. As i got to the edge of the hay field i watch over, i noticed this doe standing there feeding. As i was putting my release on, she was watching me very close. After a 10 minute staring match, she put her head down and gave me a 40 yard broadside shot. I drew back and let the arrow fly!

I knew the shot felt good, but when i watched the arrow fly i noticed i had hit her back. Liver or gut shot was the only thing running through my mind. I then walked back to the truck, giving her time to lay down.

I went searching the next day. I have to cross a pond damn to work through the woods. Next thing i know, im putting on my hip waders to drag her out of the pond! Great experience.

picture.php

Last edited:
Welcome to the addiction! (Better get a tag on that trophy!)
A couple things I can't help not commenting on
1) probably not a good idea to walk in the timber with a nocked arrow
and
2) after you nock an arrow, the next step (provided you haven't already done so) is to put on your release!
All that aside, congrats!

Nice work!

This reminds me of a doe I shot last year with my muzzleloader. I had already filled my buck tag so I was walking out to my stand in the morning when it was already light. I was walking across a field and i notice about 40 yards away, in the edge of the woods next to me stood a doe, just watching me walk past. I didn't have a shot so I just kept walking and until I had a clear shot. All in one motion, I stopped, pulled up my gun, and pulled the trigger. She ran 30 yards and died.

She obviously knew I was there, but she didn't know what I was and didn't think I was a threat since I wasn't walking towards her. Maybe there's a Bigfoot around that she was used to seeing. Who knows. :)

Congrats! My first deer with a bow was a south Texas doe and I was all kinds of giddy! You're definitely going to be hooked. If you make a habit of stalking in the timber with an arrow knocked (I do it all the time due to western spot/stalk hunting; FUN), just be mindful of the tip. You can be making a great stalk and get the tip of the arrow snagged on a branch and blow the whole stalk! :thrwrck: And, of course, clip on your release immediately because you never know when you'll have to draw in a hurry! Getting busted trying to clip on is as bad as snagging your arrow on a branch during the stalk (all from experience).

Great job!!

Top Bottom