Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First double stalk!!!!

Liv4Rut

My budday and I had one of our most memorable hunts during 2nd season. On opening day we got about 300 yards away from two big ole gobblers with about 15 hens up on an alfalfa ridge that refused to come into our calls due to the hens. So when they disappeared on one side of the ridge we snuck around the other side, and when i peaked over the ridge they were in full strut, we backed off a bit and tried to call them in but they still refused. We sat on the back side of the ridge and tried to call with no avail. so we decided the only way we would get them is by stalking them. we took of our vests and bellied crawled about 40 yards to the edge and peaked over. the two old boys were in full strut and just about to be out in the opening. As all of the hens came into view with the gobblers behind them they saw us but the timber behind us about 75 yards hid us in the sky line, as soon as the gobblers got into view and were facing us in full strut, we tried to get them to put their heads up but they wouldnt and the hens were starting to spook so from there I said shoot and we shot at the same time and dropped both of the birds. Mine, (the one on the right) weighed 25 lbs, with a 11 inch beard, and 1 1/8 spurs and my buddies weighed 29 lbs with 10 inch beard and 1.5 inch hooks, it was truly an amazing hunt and one i will always remember.

Attachments

• 25109-turkey 4.JPG
    25109-turkey 4.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 8
Great story and an awesome photo. Both nice birds, but that 29 pounder looks like a small cow
smile.gif
Congrats!

NWBuck

LIV4RUT....That is one awesome picture. Times like that shared with a buddy will stick in your mind forever. Congrats on the successful stalk. Sometimes that's just what the Doctor orders.
beerchug.gif

Those are two of the nicest Toms I've ever seen, taken double style! Congrats! I hope that 29 pounder ends up in the Taxidermy's office!
beerchug.gif

Thanks guys, that was an awesome hunt, and they were awesome birds. The old guy at the bait shop couldnt believe that bird tipped the scales at 29 lbs and neither could we. Unfortunately, the truck was miles away from us.
tongue.gif
He didnt get the bird mounted, the beard was kind of scraggly but you could tell it was definitely an old bird. That is the first stalk we ever tried side by side, and it turned out great. i guess sometimes if they wont come to you, you got to go after them!! good luck to all of you that is still hunting, and i will let you know how fourth season goes!!!
smile.gif

Just curious, when you have to drag a turkey out of the woods do you drag from the head, like a buck, or from the legs like a doe? Which every way congratulations on a neat hunt.

Bowmaker, I got a turkey vest so i just throw the bird in there and it makes it a thousand times to carry out than dragging them out. If i do have to drag them out I take a little piece of string tie it around the spurs, and then i put the end of the string over my gun so i can carry it over my shoulder and put it over my back so the spurs dont dig into my hands and that way you can get good leverage with your gun and it is also tons easier to carry out those old birds. I also see that you are from floris Iowa that is where I stayed when i shot these birds. good luck hunting!!

LIV4RUT;
I was only teasing you about shooting such large turkeys, but I'm curious now, where were you hunting arround here. I live about 5 miles east of Floris near some state ground that has been getting hit hard. I've seen license plates from Il, Mo, Ar, Ak, Ok, Tx, and Oh. Never seen this many arround here before.
confused.gif

Great job, Michael &amp; my favorite nephew, Scott. <font color="purple"> </font>

Top Bottom