Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

first euro mount

2945li9.jpg

My first attempt at a European mount you shoulda seen the look on the wife's face when she came home from work to this guys head boiling on the stove priceless and I still got a little bit of my butt left after she chewed on it for about an hour

Funny...makes the house smell delicious though, doesn't it :D

I'm putting one together for my son's first bow kill as well, but took it to the turkey cooker out in the garage for boiling. What kind of plaque are you going to mount it on?

NWBuck

A friend of mine makes stuff out of driftwood so I think I will have her sell me a piece of it and make a bracket at work since I am a welder

Looks good! I like to think I have my wife in check but I would NEVER even think about trying that one.

My wife would find a way to shove that skull into an orifice of mine if I did that in her kitchen! Glad you are still breathing to enjoy it, it looks nice!

I just finished one up last night. I boil in the garage with a big pot on a camping stove. But I had a little bit of junk left on the back side of the skull that needed help so rather than dumping the entire head back into the big pot I just used a little pot on the stove. I got a pretty concerned look from the wife when I started setting that up!

I am working on right now. It was my wife's first buck from this year. Simmered it in a turkey pot for close to 8 hours. Came out pretty clean but sure took awhile. I have a friend that buries his skulls in november, with the rack above ground, and then digs them up and pressure washes them in april. He claims it works pretty good.

I am at the whitening stage right now. Im using 40 volume hair developer and a powder lightening agent from sally's beauty salon. I have coated it twice now but think i will need to do it at least one more time. What are you guys using to whiten the skull??

I always do mine outside in a turkey fryer. You have some rocks to do one of those indoors! Glad you're still alive. Looks good!

I am at the whitening stage right now. Im using 40 volume hair developer and a powder lightening agent from sally's beauty salon. I have coated it twice now but think i will need to do it at least one more time. What are you guys using to whiten the skull??

You are on the right track about using developer and powered bleach. You will have best results if you mix 2/3 developer to 1/3 bleach and "paint" that solution on right after taking the scull out of the hot water. The solution will get deep into the poors since they will be open from being boiled. It will surprise you the difference you will be able to obtain when putting the bleach solution on when the scull is hot compared to putting it on when the scull is cold.

I am working on right now. It was my wife's first buck from this year. Simmered it in a turkey pot for close to 8 hours. Came out pretty clean but sure took awhile. I have a friend that buries his skulls in november, with the rack above ground, and then digs them up and pressure washes them in april. He claims it works pretty good.

I use the same stuff. Mix 1/2 and 1/2, paste it on all over. Wrap the entire skull in saran wrap and put it in front of a space heater and make a "tent" over and around it with towels so it gets HOT. The saran wrap keeps the bleach from drying out and the heat activates the product. I'll keep it in front of the space heater for at least an hour rotating it once or twice. The bleach will foam up and fill in all the nooks and crannies. After an hour or two in front of the space heater, I will usually leave the product on for another couple hours and then rinse. Only one coat necessary with this method.

I got mine soaking in regular 3% peroxide takes about a week and I got a ragover top of the head between antlers to keep top soaking put more peroxide on it in morning and after work

I use the same stuff. Mix 1/2 and 1/2, paste it on all over. Wrap the entire skull in saran wrap and put it in front of a space heater and make a "tent" over and around it with towels so it gets HOT. The saran wrap keeps the bleach from drying out and the heat activates the product. I'll keep it in front of the space heater for at least an hour rotating it once or twice. The bleach will foam up and fill in all the nooks and crannies. After an hour or two in front of the space heater, I will usually leave the product on for another couple hours and then rinse. Only one coat necessary with this method.
Didn't think about using heat. I guess that makes sense, seeing how the women at the hair dresser sit under a hair dryer while having this on there hair. I guess painting it on in my cold garage really isn't helping matters any!

I just use flat white spray paint, tape of the teeth and horns, after 2 coats your done. Its fast and easy

Do some research on taxidermy.net . There are many different methods all with pros and cons. Do remember though, DO NOT boil the skull. Simmer it. Boiling will damage the bone. Good luck!

Lots of ways to do them. Wanted to add that if you really want to cut the grease and fat and cut down the simmering time, add a couple of cups of borax and a cup of ajax to your simmer. The flesh just falls off in that stuff and knocks the grease out.

Top Bottom