Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Food Plot...... the hard way

doublerack

This weekend we started on our first food plot. We had an acre that we couldn't plant this spring because it was too wet.
60523-med.jpg

The ground hadn't been turned in several years so we got out this bad daddy. It took us 2 hrs to plow 1 acre with this ancient piece of metal.
60525-med.jpg

After getting thrown off a few times, I decided I was better at driving the tractor and left the plowing up to my father in law.
60527-med.jpg
60526-med.jpg

We'll disc next weekend and seed in another 2.
This will definitely be a learning experience, so I'm open to lots of suggestions.

WOW! An old sulky plow! That right there is a collectors item. Any idea what brand it is? I bet it took forever to get it to scour. Probably a 12 inch bottom to boot.

Just outta curiosity, why didn't you disc it the same day?

That dirt looks as black as peat. Any idea what soil type it is?

Nice pics.

The 'Bonker

Ahhh....the old "rumble seat".
grin.gif
Makes the old back muscles talk to you the next day. Great pictures B.T.W.

I have no idea how old or what kind of plow it is. My father in law has a couple of draft horses and uses it for different shows/events. I'm farm stupid, so please forgive me, but we didn't disc because he said we needed to kill the sod before discing. Not sure on the soil type either. I do know that this part of the county has some of the darkest dirt I've ever seen.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm farm stupid.....

[/ QUOTE ]

ME TOO!

When I was hot and heavy into Olivers I attended a Plow Day. I got to drive an Oliver 990 pulling a disc. The guy that hosted the event wanted to disc the plowed ground right away to "seal it" and I haven't figured out what he ment by that and I was too embarassed to ask. We were plowing old alphalfa sod.

For those of you who might be curious, an Oliver 990 is a late '50s early '60s tractor. I'm guessing aroud 80 or more horse power. It was powered by a 3 cylinder GM two cycle diesel engine. The sound those things make is incerdible. To me it sounds like an alligator growl. He had it at a Farm Progress Show once. He would start it up from time to time and it would draw a crowd. We learned later that some of the "big boys" complained because as soon as that 990 started up their displays would empty.They thought it was too hard to sell a new tractor to somebody when they were lookin at the old ones.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
Just a guess, but I bet they wanted to knock it down, fill the voids/air pockets and seal the mosture in.... jh

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I guessed too, it is always good to get a similar guess as the guess I guessed for positive reinforcement of that guess, I guess.
grin.gif

The 'Bonker

Let see 1964 3020 diesel JD ? Is that flat bottom ot ridge? If its dry I'd disk it. Rain comes along it coud get ugly fast
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just impressed with how black that dirt is, WoW!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's got to be central Iowa dirt!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Cool pics, looks like your plowing coal. Whatcha planting?

[/ QUOTE ]
We were thinking of a rape turnip plot. It's only an acre and don't know if that is a good fit or if we should try something else.
Any suggestions?
[ QUOTE ]
That's got to be central Iowa dirt!

[/ QUOTE ] Not too far from you Blaster

You mention your open to suggestions. Plotmaster or King Kutter, my back hurts just looking at that. You'll do just fine with turnips. You should do a soil sample to play it safe, but turnips do well in average ph soil.

Disking old sod right away might turn roots back down and not get as good of a kill. Looks like you're learning quickly because it looks great.

Thats what I guessed too, it is always good to get a similar guess as the guess I guessed for positive reinforcement of that guess, I guess.
grin.gif

The 'Bonker

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd guess your correct again... : )

We were fortunate to have enough wind late saturday & early sunday to disc seed & drag yesterday afternoon. We're amateurs at this food plot stuff but it's fun!
6052Disc-med.jpg

6052Seed1-med.JPG

6052Drag-med.jpg

6052SeedMix-med.jpg

Top Bottom