Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Food Plot...... the hard way

Man that's some nice looking dirt!
grin.gif
It should be green soon!
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
We're amateurs at this food plot stuff but it's fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you got it figured out to me! Great looking soil too!
waytogo.gif

This was taken 8/12 before we ever got any rain. I can't wait to see what it's going to do after 3 inches over the past week.
6052sprouts-med.jpg

Re: First Food Plot...... the hard way Question?

Based on the pic of what we planted, around what dates/time of year and how tall will the plot get before we really notice the deer feeding in it?

Doublerack,
Put up a little round protection fence around a smaller area so the deer can not eat it.
You can then monitor if they are eating the other areas or not.

Some will eat it earlier than others while some will wait until the last thing IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
Doublerack,
Put up a little round protection fence around a smaller area so the deer can not eat it.
You can then monitor if they are eating the other areas or not.

Some will eat it earlier than others while some will wait until the last thing IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I did. Although I haven't been in there for a week or two, it didn't look like they touched my brassicas or turnips at all. A section of it has some rye grass and a little clover. That's been keeping them busy though.

The really wet spots didn't grow quite as well.
6052FP1-med.jpg

Wish I knew what is what. Can anyone educate me? I think I can tell the ryegrass and clover.
6052FP2-med.jpg

6052FP4-med.jpg

So far, so good. Atleast I think so. This is our first food plot. So we'll see how well it works. There are tons of tracks all over the plot. I moved my camera to a point where they seemed to be entering from the most. Hopefully I get some good pics and see what times they are passing through or visiting.
We also took your advise and put up a little 3ft high by 2ft wide fence to keep track of how much they are eating.
Also, from what everyone can tell, did we seed it thick enough? or does everything look a little sparce?

A lot of growing in two weeks. Looking good!
6052greens-med.jpg

6052Butch_Fp-med.jpg

Here and there there are tall very thin plants with little white flowers on top, what are they?

Looks great! I would say planted plenty thick enough too.

I saw clover and I assume you mean "rye" not "ryegrass"...in that previous post.

Not big on mixing brassicas and clover but the plots look great!
waytogo.gif

I forgot to take pics, but the plot is looking awesome. We have turnips the size of baseballs already.
Trail cam pics show deer moving through the plot, but it doesn't look like they've been feeding on it. What part of the season will we really notice them hitting the plot?

People told me after a hard frost but I had browse pressure before that. Once they decided to really hit it it went in a hurry, then later use they pawed the bulbs out of the ground. It wasn't completely gone until January but most was eaten by first week in December.

107_0748.JPG
This is a small one and it was a little bigger than a softball. The big ones were almost the size of volleyballs. Are we doing something wrong?
Just updating the plot pics. Up to Thanksgiving, the deer have only been walking through the foodplot. I'm hoping this freeze and snow has them digging the turnips up. We'll see once shotgun season is over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm hoping this freeze and snow has them digging the turnips up. </div></div>

Let us know if they do hit them later on...pretty rare that they don't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doublerack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
107_0748.JPG
Are we doing something wrong?
</div></div>

You should stop immediately until you have more experience and practice. I have just the spot for you so you can hone your skills. :)

Great looking stuff- plant it, once they use it, it will become a target when other food is harder to find.

The deer still aren't hitting the plot.
We're going to break it up into three sections and switch to clover, alfalfa, and winterwheat next year.

Top Bottom