Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Halloween Buck

Booner

First time in my entire life that I've had this good of luck on Halloween night. Deer movement was absolutely poor until right around 6 o'clock. 15 does pile out into this ripped cornfield to field and I had my sights set on shooting a doe. As I reach for my bow I catch movement out of the corner of my eye and see white. Immediately I'm thinking "about time a buck comes to the does :D" He comes to the fence and I can tell instantly that he's a deer I'm after. What seems like hours the deer just stands there and watches the does, he refuses to cross the fence. He begin to lose interest in the does and turns to walk back down the ridge so I grab my grunt tube and hit him with a grunt. He instantly stops, turns on a dime and walks back to the fence staring in my direction. Still being stubborn he refuses to jump the fence yet again and he turns and repeats his steps back down the ridge. At a desperation shot, I hit him with a snort-wheeze and he couldn't take it anymore. He turns, jumps the fence and runs straight at me across the field. He hits the 50 yard mark as so many bucks seem to do and hangs up. Wanting to circle down wind of me, he walks straight to the west and into the finger I was in. Since the finger I was in was so thick and nasty he had no choice but to come back out into the field and walk the end of the field by my stand at 8yds. He hangs up yet again, at 15yds behind a thick bush. He makes and scrape, tears up and tree and lets out one of they absolute loudest grunts that I've ever heard that close. Me, shaking like a leaf I begin to draw and he leaves his scrape and keeps coming right down my path. Once he hits my shooting lane, he stop looks up right at me and busts me instantly. I had no choice but to put the pin right behind is shoulder and let er fly. He was quartering to me which is a pretty tough shot but at 8 yards my arrow smacked the sweet spot. Only got 18inches of penetration but with 2 blade rage it tore him up. He ran 80 yards and piled up, luckily right before the big ravine :D:D.

When I walked up to him, he had a little ground shrinkage but it's my biggest bow kill to date, it was a great hunt and I also had some history with this deer from this summer with trail camera's. Good luck to all hunter's still holding on to that buck tag, things are def. starting to heat up in the woods. Rattling didn't seem to work for me but grunting and snort-wheeze were the ticket.

Here are some pictures of him this summer, he showed up in July and then moved to the north half of the property:

2u8chuu.jpg

9vce1s.jpg

The rest is just history, taped him out at 137 3/8's:

25akb54.jpg

bhd3k7.jpg

The 2 blade rage is nasty at 8 yard :D:D

femfcx.jpg

Damn Josh, that didn't take ya very long !!! When we spoke on the 30th, you made it sound like you hadn't even been in a tree much yet.

Nice job and he is a dandy buck.

What are ya shooting, Elite??

the rages make it way too easy. Looks like an axe went through em!!! I ve shot four deer so far with the rage 2 blade and man they do a number on em. nice buck congrats

Thanks guys, hope everyone else has good luck, things are starting to get hot. Couple other buddies called with good news of big deer down today.

Damn Josh, that didn't take ya very long !!! When we spoke on the 30th, you made it sound like you hadn't even been in a tree much yet.

Nice job and he is a dandy buck.

What are ya shooting, Elite??

Thanks Brent, but yeah that's the good thing about trail camera's they tell you so much and help ya out when your not able to be in the stand. I had a bunch of deer patterned pretty well just needed the perfect conditions to hunt the sets. Of course I did have someone looking out for me as well with the awesome weekend of hunting I had with shooting limits of ducks and pheasants then smacking my biggest bow buck.

Yea, I'm shooting the Z28, IMO elite is one of the best all around bows out there. The smooth draw is amazing and she shoots pretty fast.

Top Bottom