Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

first harvest 2012

Status
  • Deleted by N/A

Greekhawk

Sorry for the long story here please bare with me. For the last three years I have not been able to do much hunting due to college and working more hours then I can count. Last fall a friend approached me about doing a velvet hunt. I said absolutely I will go (thinking this would be my graduation present from college). I didn't care how big the deer was I just wanted to shoot a velvet buck. Because it's cool and I can't do it in Iowa. I sent the deposit and there was no turning back. As 2012 began to unfold I knew this was going to be an amazing year. in June my wife and I welcomed our first child together a little (well not really little) baby girl Quincy lynn to the world. she now is 2 months old and already visited the archery shop twice. Any way back to the hunt. I was really starting to look forward to this hunt. ( before I go any farther if you don't like outfitters pleasemove on I'm not looking to get in to a debate over this)a week before we were set to leave the outfitter called and said we would be hard pressed to find a deer in the 140's which I was planning on hunting. Well we went anyway. Upon the arrival We found out there was no deer in our range so we decideed to upgrade to the 150's. The first night there I saw a monster triple droptine without a doubt the largest neastest nastiest buck I have ever laid my eyes on. I really enjoyed watching this deer. Nothing else was coming out, oh well the first night was over. The first morning hunt up at 0430 and there was a group of 5 deer that came in nothing under the high 170's, The friday night hunt took all of my energy to stay awake from the sheer lack of boredom. Saturday morning came and I saw a real nice deer, however he was i would say a 180 class, which would have made an awesome mount with the white velvet he was sporting, here again nothing in my range. By this point im starting to get real conceirned that its too hot and the deer are not moving. I spend the day pondering what things I need to be doing at home. (lets face it we all have the honey do list and it never gets shorter). ok now we are on the saturday evening hunt, it's a little cooler then the day before by a whole 3 degrees. I said my usual prayer except with a little twist, I asked god to show him a buck by this point I would rather have him get one and me come home without. 1930 comes and goes, then about 1935 I here there he is that's the one. I looked out and it was the deer I have been gunning for coming through the corn. Man was my heart racing now! Before I got my gun up, my guide was saying get a round in him. lined up my shot and let my Savage sing. Immediately my heart sank I knew I had a bad shot, but the deer was still there with a look like what the heck just happened. We kept our glass on him and soon realized it was a terrable shot, but he was not moving. I couldn't see him from my window so my guide and I switched windows, within the 2 seconds of switching he dropped his head we both lost him. My heart sank. I comed that corn and finally he got up slowly walking away and I let the savage sing again. but I didn't see the deer anymore. I didn't know what to think this time because I had a great feeling on that shot. he was at a 45 to me, but I had a good feeling. As my guide walked out there I kept my glass on the field incase he got up again. Moments later I saw it a thumbs up. He was down and it finally set in. I grabbed my stuuf and headed down there. strolling up to the deer my guide said "I messed up he's a lot bigger then I thought." I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. As we were taking pictures my guide told me my friend was looking at a very nice buck too, within seconds we heard a loud crack. He had a very nice 12 pointer on the ground. I cannot add his picture but ill add mine and the triple drop and the white velvet photos I have. I would like to make a shoutout ti Monarch Valley Whitetails in blair Wisconsin. They made theis a great hunt and took very very good care of us. I hope you enjoyed the story I had a fantastic hunt and am very happy.

Also theres a point just below the browtine on the polmated side of the horns that turns down. I have heard many thing, must be past the g2 to be considered a droptine, or drop tines come off the main beam and stickers off the points. Ill add in a picture so you can see it.

After talking to my Taxidermist today we are going to try and recreate the scene with a pedestal moun this thing is going to rock!

picture.php

picture.php

Triple Droptine
picture.php

White Velvet
picture.php

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom