Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Hunt Ever

risto2351

Had this trip planned with Dalton and his dad since the state wrestling tournament. Dalton has been practicing his shooting for the last month. I found out later this was his first hunting trip ever. I told him not to expect this outcome all the time.

I skipped the day Friday and Saturday morning because of the weather and figured it would be better to go when it was a lot nicer. We pulled into the cabin about 5:00 o'clock. After unloading the car we decided to roost a few birds.
We were walking the perimeter and finally heard a gobble. As we snuck around to the area of the gobbles we heard more and more gobbles. We backed out and waited for them to fly up. After they flew up they put on quite a show for him.

The next morning we sat up about 150 yards away from the group of birds. We decided to go without the DB and decoys. After a few yelps we heard one bird getting closer. I told Dalton to get ready. He was sitting by a tree with his dad in the middle of an old logging road. I was 20 feet away in a old blow down.
The bird took his time on the field edge while we were in the woods. He then showed himself and dropped into the woods.
He was about 40 yards out strutting and gobbling putting on quite the show for the boy.
There were also two deer that were there and stomped and snorted us. The tom stood at attention but settled back down after a few short purrs. The tom then moved to the left and was on the logging road moving toward us.
Dalton had his gun up and when the bird was at 30 yards and coming closer I told him to shoot. He was at 25 yards and closing I told him to shoot again but no shot. When he was at 20 yards and closing I told him to shoot again no shot for a second and then he squeezed the trigger. He busted a wing and a foot and I chased him down.
Bird weighed 21.8 pounds. Biggest spur was 3/4" and the beard was 8 1/4" long.
Pretty nice first harvest ever for the young man.
I asked him why he did not shoot when I told him to the first time and he replied " I couldn't squeeze the trigger because I was too excited.

Needless to say I think he is hooked.

Good luck this season.

DSC03429.jpg

Top Bottom