Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

***FIRST SPRING TURKEY***

Y

Youngbuck

I went out with my dad and we set up close to one gobbling. We had about 6 gobblers around us, but two-three were across a river. So dad called a couple of times, and he would gobble, then we heard a putt on the other side of a hill that was about 30 yds away. She was putting for quite awhile until she finally flew away. When he finally flew down he flew away from us. So we sat there for a while longer then we heard another gobble to our right really far away. Then it got closer, closer, and closer, then it got hung up on the other side of the hill the hen was on. He stayed behind it for a really long time. Then he finally came out strutting around, and he would still hide behind a dead log and would only come out to gobble, and then he finally went on strutting again, then when he came out I shot, and I missed!!! So now I was feeling really disappointed. We went around for 2 more sits with nothing. Then as we were on our way out dad started cutting into an open field, and we heard a distant gobble, dad thought it was to our left and I thought it was to our right, so we ended up setting up if it came from our left. Then it started coming and it came in very fast. Then dad said, see it?" I didn't because were I thought it would come out I wasn't looking because they never come to where you think they will, well this one did, and I still had my gun down on my knee, he was about 12 FEET away with only one tree between us and it was only 3 inches in diameter, soon after it strutted around for awhile he started getting nervous and started to walk away, Dad said" slowly bring up your gun and shoot." then it took off on a run when I moved the I had to quickly bring it up to shoot, he was running straight away, and wasn't bobbing his head up and down, so I lined up the beads and shot, he went right down. I had hunted very hard for two years before this season. And finally got one, he had a 9 1/2 beard, 1 1/16 spurs, and weighed 23 lbs!

Attachments

• 25374-TOM.JPG
    25374-TOM.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 5
here's a picture of the beard

Attachments

• 25376-TOM2.JPG
    25376-TOM2.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 7
Way to go Youngbuck, you got that first one under your belt! They'll come "easier" as the years go by!!

Congrats.

Very good job Michael.

I'm really proud of ya!!
beerchug.gif

Nice job youngbuck, I hope my son enjoys hunting as much as you do some day! Great feeling isn't it?
waytogo.gif

Congrats, Youngbuck! Nice bird and good story. Doesn't it feel like a great weight has been lifted? I hunted three years myself before I got my first one ... now I'm three birds in the last four DAYS I've been out hunting. (Now that I've said that, the jinx will probably come back in a big way!!!) While it's always fun to get out and hear em gobble, can't beat it when you score! Here's to many more for you!

Threebeards

Youngbuck....your off to quite a start with your outdoor adventures!
waytogo.gif
I'm always glad to see a youngster with so much enthusiasm for the sport. Good Work
peace.gif

Top Bottom