Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First time elk hunting

180class

It's kind of ironic that there was just a poll on what you would consider your dream hunt. I picked an archery elk hunt. Well, I got a phone call last night from a friend of mine. He invited me out to Idaho to go on a 2 week long elk hunting next September. Him and I have discussed it in the past, but there was never an opening available. He has been going out with his brother and two other guys for the past 10 years. Apparantly his brother is sitting next year out. So now I have an entire year to plan and get prepared for what I consider my dream hunt. This will obviously be my first time elk hunting. My question is, for those of you that have experienced this, what are some items that are a must if I'm gonna be chasing elk in the mountains?

Are you to provide your own camping gear? I have a list, but some things might not apply. My most important items are bow, gps, compass, scent free baby wipes (that's the shower and the diswasher), moleskin(blisters), a really good knife and a lighter (you could take one wet match if you want to be survivalman)

The biggest factor is to start training!!!! That thinner air really takes a toll on us flat landers.

Get some great fitting comfortable boots, start breaking them in. I guess as far as gear goes, like Danno said i have some lists but it really depends on what your hunt will be like. Are you day tripping, packing in on horses, ridding quads, hiking??? More details and we can help with a better list of stuff.

A light quality digital camera is a must. OPTICS!!!! Water filter (unless you dig giardia) Once we get specifics i'm sure we can spend a ton of your money for you!!!

At this point, I know very little about how we will be hunting. I'm pretty sure we will be taking quads up to our campsite. The other guys that I'm going with have been doing this for about 10 years now. They will have most of the essentials. I guess I'm just looking for what I will personally need during the hunt. Clothing, optics, calls stuff like that.

As far as being in shape, that's not a problem. I'm a very physically fit sexy man. I have about 3% body fat and made of twisted steel! Ok, so really I'm a fat turd that sits behind a computer all day. I've heard that the thinner air will really kick your butt if your not ready for it. I guess I better start doing a few crunches in between beers.

START RUNNING!!!

I'd bring moleskin for the blisters you WILL get, and a good sized water bottle. I have one that can filter water from a stream. Big help!

water bottle

Can get them cheaper, but it helps.

Whatever you decide for a pack, whether it's just a fanny or a pack frame, wear it while you excercise. Many of us don't hunt with a pack all day long here in the Hawkeye State, but out west you probably will.

Here are my top four.

1. Best pair of boots you can afford.

2. Best pack you can afford to haul gear and pack out meat.

3. Camelback hydration bladder.

4. Bow sling

Top Bottom