Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Trip to Boar Ridge

Horn Hunter

In March of 2010 we made our annual trip to the Iowa Deer Classic. As I approached the Boar Ridge booth the owner, David Bess, just shook his head and laughed. I had been telling him that I was going to come down and hunt for a few years but I hadn’t made it yet. This year was going to be different because I had my wife with me this year and she gave me the ok to go.

We ended up with a total of 6 guys in our group; me, my son Chad, my brother in-law Bob, my cousin Matt, friend Scott, and friend Virgil.

Some of you may know already but David has sold Boar Ridge to his brother in-law Randall Danker. Our group would be Randall’s first official group.

We arrived at the lodge a little before noon on the 7th and we were greeted by Randall. He welcomed us and showed us were we could put our stuff. David arrived as we were unloading and when we were done unloading a few of us shot our bows to make sure everything made the trip ok. We sat down with Randall and David and they gave us some instructions as we waited for head guide and jack of all trades Nick to arrive. Once Nick arrived we decided which stands we would each be in, got ready, and Nick took us out to the stands.

Friday evening was pretty slow with only a few sightings but my brother in-law ended up shooting a 90 lb hog at about 5:45. Saturday was a tough day of hunting with a few sighting but no kills.

Sunday morning came and we were tired but ready to give it one more shot. It was a little cold with a light wind but nothing that would keep us from going out. We were going to hunt until about 10:00 and at about 8:00 or so I heard a shot. I sent a text to my son to see if it was him. Unfortunately it was not him but he told me that Virgil had shot the ram that he wanted. About an hour later I heard 3 quick shots and I figured it was my son because he was using my semi automatic shotgun. I found out that he did hit one and Randall and Nick were tracking it with him. They found it about 200 yards from where he shot it and he had to put another shot in it to finish the job. After I heard that last finishing shot I sat waiting for them to come and pick me up. It was about 9:45 and I saw 3 hogs run by the stand I was setting in. They ran by on my right and went out in front of me. They stopped behind some trees for a second and then ran to my left on a trail that was about 40 yards. I had my high power with me and quickly pulled it up. I saw the first one run by and I knew the others would follow. By the time I had the gun up I saw the second one run by through the scope. I had one more to go so I settled the crosshairs on the opening where I had seen the others go through. The third one followed the others lead and I was ready. He went about 40 yards before he went down.

When we got everything back to the lodge Nick started his work on the ram and two hogs. The ram weighed 150 lbs, my sons hog weighed 145 lbs, and I had shot a monster that weighed a whole 82 lbs. I was really amazed at how tough the hogs are after they have been shot. They are definitely not easy to kill.
Overall we ended up with 3 hogs, 1 ram, a ton of great fun and memories, and some new friends.

Many of you have probably heard this already but the food at Boar Ridge is incredible. Dave’s wife Lisa does a great job and there is always plenty of food. If you are thirsy Lisa makes some delicious margaritas. Even though Boar Ridge has changed hands I know that our group definitely wants to go back some time and I would recommend it to anyone.

My son and I with our Hogs
picture.php

My son and his hog
picture.php

My 82 lb monster
picture.php

The whole gang
picture.php

Always an awesome time @ Boar Ridge. The Bess's know how to do thing's the right way! Just make sure you get plenty of sleep & don't stay up all night drinkin the good stuff with David :drink2: or you'll be hurtin the next day.

"Just make sure you get plenty of sleep & don't stay up all night drinkin the good stuff with David"

Heck that's the only way I can get it! Talk about being connected I partied with them new years and had my eyes and hands on the "stash" Might of dented it a touch.....

man, that looks like a blast!!! Someday I'll make it down there!

congrats!

We were up late both nights pounding a few :drink1: and telling stories. We dented the "stash" a little but I also brought David a small bottle to help restock.

My son's was pretty nice but he told me right after he shot it he saw an even bigger one heading the other way. Mine was kinda small but on the last day, in the last 15 minutes I couldn't pass it up.

Top Bottom