Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First try at it....Update

timekiller

No, you can't pet him.
I decided to give planting some plots a try this year, and thought I'd post some pics of the progress so far. I haven't really seen any pics on here of plots in the scenario that I have so I thought I'd share.

These are 3 different plots all in river bottoms. They are what you would call secluded plots as they are all in the timber and not really accessible by machinery. You definitely couldn't get any in there when I did this, and actually buried my truck trying one night. It was just way too wet. The ground that these plots are in was under water from roughly March to the end of June. I wasn't just a little wet, it was under 3-4 feet of water pretty much that whole time. The ground was still wet when I seeded it and there were some spots that were pure "boot sucking" mud. These were all done entirely by hand. I cleared the areas with a weed eater, sprayed (in one case), and then seeded. They seem to be doing good so far, let me know what you think. These were all planted on August 1st and the photos are from 8/22.

This first plot is in Tecomate Standside. I actually sprayed this a few days after knocking the grass down, but the water from the farm pump had rust in it which kept plugging the sprayer. You can also see where I missed some spots.

plot_1-1.jpg

Here's a view from the other end.

plot1-2.jpg

Here you can see the plot coming up were the grass was sprayed. I don't have a pic from this plot that shows it, but the plot seed is also growing in the grass just as thick. I'm not sure how the grass will affect it over time, but it is there.

plot_1-3.jpg

Here's a better view. I've never dealt with this stuff before and maybe someone will correct me, but I think this is rape.

plot1-4.jpg

This is the second plot which due to me being pissed at the sprayer didn't get hit with Roundup. From here it just looks like grass (which by the way came back way faster than I thought it would) This was planted in Antler King Honey Hole.

plot2-1.jpg

But when you look closer you can see that the seed is coming up.

plo2-2.jpg

Another view. Sorry my camera isn't the best.

plot2-3.jpg

A closer view of what I think is mostly rape coming up in the grass. I'm not sure, but I think I seeded it a bit too heavy.

plot2-4.jpg

This 3rd plot I'm not so sure about. It was seeded in WI Secret Spot. When I seeded it there wasn't much there except for a bunch of little maple seedlings. The mix has a little bit of everything, and I can't really tell what is growing there. I can see what I think is rape, but other than that I don't have a clue. All I know is it was basically bare dirt and is now really green.

plot3-1.jpg

Here's a couple closer views.

plot3-2.jpg

plot3-3.jpg

It's hard to see in the pics, but 2 of the 3 seem to me to be doing good. I'm curious to see how they progress through the coming weeks. I already know that next year they all will be getting sprayed.

Re: First try at it....

Looks great! If you wanted to you could spray the grassy areas with Select which won't hurt the brassica planting.

If not...nuke em next time! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Looks like a great start. Here's one of my plots planted 3 weeks ago with maximum.
DSC03679.jpg

Here's an update pic of the first plot taken 9/30. I'm pretty pleased with it. The second and third plots didn't fare as well. They have ALOT of grass in them and the brassicas are in there, but they just couldn't compete. I learned for next year.

brassicas.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They have ALOT of grass in them and the brassicas are in there, but they just couldn't compete. I learned for next year </div></div>

You can kill a lot of grasses ahead of time with Roundup but Select herbicide works well on brassicas that have grass in them post emergence.

A gallon of Select isn't cheap but at 8 ounces per acre it will last most folks quite awhile. Plenty of fellow plotters willing to split a gallon also.

I just sprayed some grass in some of my brassicas and will post results in a week or two in the brassica thread but so far that stuff has nuked any grasses I have sprayed with no side effects to any broadleaf type plants.

That one plot looks great though! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Great results! That secluded spot should be a deer magnet as everything else is turning brown. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom