Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fishy Iowa Draw Results

B

Brad O'Bryan

Is it me or does this seem a bit fishy?

According to the Iowa DNR non-resident draw policy, “The license drawing for Any-Deer licenses will be made from the pool of applicants with the most preference points and continue to pools with successively fewer preference points until quotas are filled or all applicants have received an Any-Deer license.”

The “pool” approach (which I’m very familiar with), as described above, means that ALL applicants with one preference point will receive a tag before ANY applicants with zero preference points receive a tag.

In looking to see what Greg Miller drew I scrolled down the “Millers” and located Ronald Miller from Valliant, OK who was denied a bow tag for zone 6 and now shows as holding 2 preference points. That means he must have had one pref. pt. going into the draw. Now, I hunt in zone 6 (I drew this year with one point) and I know how popular the zone is so it wasn’t surprising to learn that a few unlucky hunters failed to draw a bow tag (what with the bow cap and everything) even though they held a preference point. Of course that would mean that NOBODY with zero preference points could have drawn a zone 6 bow tag.

Now for the confusing part. I also checked to see if Eddie Salter (another Hunter’s Specialties pro-staffer) drew, knowing full well that he not only bowhunted Iowa last year but also shot a buck there as documented in Primetime 6 which was filmed during the fall of 2001. That would mean that Eddie could not have had a preference point entering the 2002 draw. To my amazement I found that Eddie was “awarded” a bow tag for zone 6…….the very tag for which Ronald Miller (who held one preference point) was denied.

Now, I got my tag so it doesn’t matter much to me but if I were Ronald Miller I’d be rather “pissed” about this situation whether it was simply an error in administering the draw or an intentional “conspiracy” to benefit a company that happens to be headquartered in Iowa.

I don’t want to imply anything so don’t read too much into my message. I think the DNR does a good job with the limited resources they have and I love Hunter’s Specialties products and enjoy their videos. But, either I’m missing something here or something went terribly wrong for a guy like Ronald Miller out there and since you or I could be the next Ronald Miller I thought it was worth raising the issue. Any thoughts?

This is interesting. I know of a few guys that drew zone 5 with no points last year. Even with the higher NR fees, I cannot imagine any zone 6 either sex bow tags going to someone without points. Should not be mathematically possible.

Perhaps Blind Sow could provide some input on this interesting question. It is my understanding this system was set up to be fair so that one person does not get "lucky" in drawing a tag year after year while another person applying for the same area never draws.

Well, Stoney over on the Bowsite whitetail thread cleared up the Ronald Miller issue for me. It appears he applied as a group with his wife (or daughter) who had zero points. This explains why he didn't draw.

It doesn't explain why Eddie once again drew while almost nobody with zero pref. pts. drew a zone 6 bow tag. But then some have mentioned the governor's tag and implied that he may have been granted one (either last year or this). I'm not sure how the governor's tag works but it seems they can hand them out to whoever they want for whatever season they want. Again, maybe Doug can clear this up for us. Then I need to figure out a way to get a "governor's" tag every year. :)

Some "Pros" are awarded the Governer's special deer tags when they do not draw tags. These are given to those that promote the state of Iowa's deer hunting and tourism. I have a list of 2001 recipients and Salter was not one of them so he must have drawn 2 years in a row. Sounds Impossible to me!!!

I also had a point for zone 6, not drawing last year ,and did not draw again.But I did apply as a group this year with the two other people that did not have points.I did not know that it would hurt my chances for the draw,but that is my own fault.I just cant wait to come back and hunt the great bow hunting state of Iowa.Good luck to all going afield this year,its coming fast. Good Hunting, mottspur.

Mn slick IS ON THE BALL...THESE GOVONERS TAGS DO EXIST BUT ARE VERY MINIMAL. THEY ARE TO BE USED TO PROMOTE THE STATES HUNTING AND NATURAL RESC. I KNOW A FEW PEOPLE WHO HAVE GOTTEN THESE TAGS YEAR AFTER YEAR. M350 OUT

BRAD, I DO NOT THINK THE IOWA DNR HAS A STAKE IN SEEING PRO STAFFERS SHOOT BIG BUCKS IN THEIR STATES SO THEY COULD ADVERTISE THEIR HUNTS ON VIDEOS THUS CAUSING MORE OUT OF STATERS TO APPLY FOR NON RESIDENT TAGS. THIS WOULD GO AGAINST WHAT IOWA RESIDENTS WANT AND THAT IS TO CUT DOWN ON NON RESIDENT TAGS.
THE ONLY THING I WOULD GUESS HAPPENED WITH THIS PARTICULAR GENTLEMEN IS THAT SOMEHOW HE MESSED UP HIS APPLICATION CAUSING HIM OR MAYBE HIS " GROUP " NOT TO DRAW. IF YOU REMEMBER, THERE WAS ALOT OF TALK AS TO WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF A GROUP ENTERED THE DRAW WITH SOME PEOPLE HAVING POINTS AND OTHERS NOT ?? MAYBE THIS GUY WAS THE ONLY GUY IN THE GROUP AND THE OTHERS HAD NO POINTS WHICH WOULD HAVE COST HIM HIS CHANCE AS THE DNR WOULD NOT RECOGONIZE THE WHOLE GROUP AS HAVING PREFERENCE POINTS . I'LL BE INTERESTED IN ANY OTHER OPINIONS OR IDEAS ON THIS SUBJECT.

I don't understand all the details so I don't want to make any false accusations. I understand the purpose of the governors tags. If all the nonresident tags are being issued how much more do we need to promote Iowa deer hunting? Maybe some of these tags should be issued to wildlife conservation groups instead? Maybe they are?

I wonder if there should be a cross check? Anyone receiving a governors tags should loose their accumulated points. Further, they should also limit the frequency with which one person can receive such a permit. It shouldn't become an exemption for those years in which an individual does not draw.

I know John said that I may know something about the draw but in reality you that participate in it have a better grasp on its particulars than I do. My limited knowledge is what has already been stated. The first drawing comes from the "hat" with the most points and goes down from there.

If an individual has one or more preference points but puts in with a group, and a member of that group has zero points, the group is put in draw with other zero pointers. A hunter with several preference points basically has to make a personal decision as to whether he wants to hunt this year and use his/her points or go with a group of friends and maybe have a lesser chance of drawing if any member has less preference points than he/she does. (I hope that makes sense.)

As far as the Governor tags (around 25?) I did a post on it last year. I don't remember the specifics but I believe it's a three member board that doles them out--someone from the gov's office, tourism bureau and DNR??

Pat has a good idea. If fact he brought it up several years ago when I was still on the IBA board. At that time his father was still Wyoming's governor and Pat thought it would be a good money raiser for the IBA and the Wyoming Bowhunters to trade hunts--an Iowa whitetail hunt for a WY hunt through the respective governor's tags. WY could have participated but, when we (IBA) approached the DNR we were told by Al Farris (then Fish and Wildlife Division Administrator and now retired) that there were no mechanics in place to give/dole out the governor's tags to any sportsmen's organizataions. Maybe that is an idea to again approach the DNR with.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

If I was the governor, I would give some of the tags to conservatipon groups in other states for fundraisers. Just think, Wisconsin Whitetails Unlimited could auction off an Iowa whitetail hunt and raise some serious money on it. Then they could use the funds for CWD research or whatever. Should be some good ideas for this.

Iowa1 - not a bad idea at all!
smile.gif

Top Bottom