Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fixed Blade....OR Expandabes

CntryPride5608

this is my first year actually getting into bowhunting but ive been shooting bow for about 4 years now, i have a new bow and have it dialed in so to speak, got a blind all my camo and cover scents, and of course "the fever"...now i just need to decide on what broadheads to use, to help better your opinions the bow im shootin is a diamond widow maker 3 and i have a 30 in draw and my bow is shooting 63 pounds....just needed some ideas,
thanks
Joshua

I use muzzy, I like them because there cheap and good quality. If you want expandable I would say either swacker or rage only difference beteen them is rage might have a bigger cutting diameter.

I have been more than pleased with g5 Montec. They are solid broadhead that fly true and can be reused after a kill (my experience with muzzy is they are a one shoot broadhead due to thin blades).

I recommend both. If you plan on shooting alot of does then you definately want to have some good solid fixed that you can use over and over.(Wasp bullets are very durable) Personally I carry two of each. If you are sitting a field edge where you may shoot 40+ yds, I'd use an expandable. If you are sitting in tight corners where your shot is 20 or less with light brush around, I'd use fixed.

Just make sure you actually try them on a target before you hunt with them. I can get some fixed blades to fly pretty well. I like the slick tricks esp. I usually use an mech though. Some fixed blades are sensitive to form and torque and that can be hard to maintain 20 ft up when the heart is thumpin. There are trade offs to be made either way.

You mentioned that you were going to be hunting out of a blind. If it has shoot through screens, you'll need to use a fixed head. But whatever you decide to shoot, get out and try it now because it may or may not group nicely with your field points.

NWBuck

NWBuck said:
You mentioned that you were going to be hunting out of a blind. If it has shoot through screens, you'll need to use a fixed head. But whatever you decide to shoot, get out and try it now because it may or may not group nicely with your field points.

NWBuck

Ya if your hunting out if a blind and shooting though a screen use fix blade

arrow flinger

Muzzy's worked great for me for years, love them.. This year I'm shooting Trophy Taker's Terminal T-Locks and love them so far too. Put a big hole in a NoDak buck already. I used to be strongly against expandables, but those Rages do some damage and are worth the investment IMO. I have my wife shooting the 40KE this year. Big wounds is right!

Adventure said:
I have been more than pleased with g5 Montec. They are solid broadhead that fly true and can be reused after a kill (my experience with muzzy is they are a one shoot broadhead due to thin blades).

I shoot Muzzy and I've only had 1 fall apart and the only reason was I hit a pretty big tree. :)

Slick Trick!!!!:way::way::way: Or ...... I have killed alot with the Thunderheads!!! Back when they made a 160 GR. up to the 100's!! :way: Great heads!!

well i think im going to go with Rage 2 since my brother got me em for my birthday, the seem to be ok, and with the practice tip its still dead on.. hope i wont be to dissapoineted....we'll see come next saterday!!!

CntryPride5608 said:
well i think im going to go with Rage 2 since my brother got me em for my birthday, the seem to be ok, and with the practice tip its still dead on.. hope i wont be to dissapoineted....we'll see come next saterday!!!

They work great!

arrow flinger

This is like asking which is your favorite ice cream but something to consider, and that Ive noticed is that the 4 bladed heads, like slick trick which I shoot, really open up a wound channel that is hard to close down. Its almost like a slug hole.

Three blade can close up a bit, as can a two blade "slice", but all work great with proper shot placement and sharp blades. Take it all in and make a desicion thats best for you, the game you pursue, and your set-up :)

I shot many brands over the years, taken deer with all of them and prefer cut on contact fixed blades, steel force to be specific. If I were to consider an expandable Rage would be the only one I'd consider. For all around performance go with a fixed blade, at least to start out.

Top Bottom