Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fixed or mechanical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiway 50

I have a fourteen year old son that's shooting a mission riot at 41 pounds. He shot a buck a couple days ago with a 100 grain rage at 30 yards. To make a long story short I found the arrow at the beginning of the blood trail, 40 yards from where he shot him. The rage only penetrated 2 inches. The blood trail was minimal and dried up after 150 yards. He shoots 3D in the off season so I was confident on his shot placement. So I'm looking for answers from those that have had the same experience with this situation, is fixed or mechanical better for low draw weights? From those that have encounter this which broadhead do you use and why?

2 blade COC head for your son-no doubt. Penetration kills above all else.

I would def stay away from all mechs at that poundage and focus on heads such as Magnus Buzzcuts as an example.

Great heads, fly well and will work greatfor your son.

I have to agree. I shoot rage and never have any issues with them but my son is shooting fixed blade. I talked with my local pro shop and they said unless you're shooting a bow generating above 60ft lbs of kinetic energy you should always shoot fixed blade. The rage will loose some of its energy while opening where the fixed blade doesn't. You will get a deeper penetration with a lighter pound bow using fixed blade. At least that's what they said and it made since to me.

It's great to be confident in your son's shooting, but with only 2" of penetration, I have to be very suspicious that he hit shoulder blade or arm bone. Even shooting a cut on contact with a 70# bow, it is quite possible to bounce one off a square hit on the humerus...yep, about 2" of pentration... been there, done that! Unless you find the deer & can prove the hit was better than my suspicion, don't blame the mechanical. Sorry your son didn't get his buck. Better luck next time. :way:

HorseDoctor said:
It's great to be confident in your son's shooting, but with only 2" of penetration, I have to be very suspicious that he hit shoulder blade or arm bone. Even shooting a cut on contact with a 70# bow, it is quite possible to bounce one off a square hit on the humerus...yep, about 2" of pentration... been there, done that! Unless you find the deer & can prove the hit was better than my suspicion, don't blame the mechanical. Sorry your son didn't get his buck. Better luck next time. :way:

I haven't had any trouble with the swhacker broadheads. And i woudnt go near 30 yards with a 40 lb draw weight.

Fixed blades all the way. They're guaranteed to work. Mechanical broadheads might not always open. Throw on a muzzy and you're golden.

You want cut on contact fixed heads for sure with that set up. Like other posters mentioned, only 2 inches of penetration could have been placement or broadhead or both. Regardless, with a lower kinetic set up you want maximum penetration and that will be provided by cut on contact fixed blades. Of those there are many good ones. A two blade may be best. Traditional bow hunters don't just shoot them for nestolgia (sp?), its because they penetrate best. No matter what you end up with them flying right is most important. Good luck.

Definitely cut-on-contact. I've settled on the ones with bleeder blades. Have tried others, but there is just something about sharpening my own. Keep in mind your arrow will stablize quicker, fly better and carry more poop down range when it is 7-10% front heavy of center.
Center being overall length divided by two, mark this point with a pencil. With your field point or broadhead of choice on, balance the arrow on your pointer finger. Mark that point with a pencil. The distance from center to your balance point divided by overall length will give you the percent.
Experiment with it. I have found with my style of shooting traditional recurves I get best results with around 14% front heavy using a 3555 carbon shaft set up the way it is.

My son shooting similar poundage...maybe 45 or so. Even though I shoot Rages at 68 lbs. he's using Slick Tricks and limiting shots to 20 yards max.

NWBuck

I appreciate everyone's response. This forum is a great tool with unlimited knowledge and experience. The consensus of the post's is COC broadheads would be more effective for a low draw weight configuration. I agree penetration is key. So along with a fixed broadhead I'm also going to switch him to a higher kinetic energy shaft. I'm really proud of him, he worked hard all summer to get to forty pounds before opening day. He continues to grow and get stronger and should not be an issue by next year. Still have a few weeks left this season, hopefully I can get him on another whitetail.

To: "Huntyak" I do have a few Uncle Teds in the inventory. The buzzcuts have the serrated edges which do a little extra damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom