Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Flaming arrow help...

Gladiator

PMA Member
OK....here it is. Let me have all suggestions on how to fire a flaming arrow...

I know there is a good thread on this at Archery Talk, but there has got to be some great ideas from the guys here (or actual guys that have tried it), but I need to come up with a way to make a flaming arrow...

We have the annual "burning of the P" at our high school for homecoming and thought it would be sweet to shoot a flaming arrow into it and light it on fire from about 50 yards out.

I have an old Bear bow that I think I can use and drop the poundage down to about 35 pounds or so. I was thinking of getting a large field tip....like very large...and screw it in over some sock. Then wire the sock around the shaft...dip in kerosene and fire away.

I think I could probably hit a 4'x8' sheet of plywood from 50....but I'm worried about trajectory with the sock on the end. I'll have to practice lots with that set up.

Have any of you seen this or had experience with this....I'm worried about the flame going out.

Some say to use steel wool and the faster it goes, the more spark and fire you get....

I'm open to anything...isn't this a childhood dream of every man?? :D

Last edited:
Sounds cool!!!! I use to dream of being like the Dukes Of Hazard too! :grin: I think they used a shirt sleeve and some gas from the General Lee! :way:

My buddy actually did this at our Pep Rally for our homecoming game my junior year, his senior year. I will have to see what he used to start the fire. I believe he shot it from about 30 yards out. It was definitely pretty cool though!!

They lit the torch at the Summer Games a few years back that way,, Very cool.
Just don't burn yourself up doing it. The arrow is liable to blow right through you soaked sock and leave it there for you to deal with.. Pretty sure you are going to need a longer than normal arrow, so you have several inches of shaft hanging out at draw.
Practise with a none soaked and burning one before you "Go For it"

I have been wanting to do this for a loooooong time. Shoot a flaming arrow into something like a 5 gallon gas container. lol. Safe IDK, would be a cool ball of fire though. ;) Of course in the middle of the field in winter.

"Hey guys...WATCH THIS!" yeah Thede, this should turn out well! You better video your first practice shot...

Top Bottom