Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

flashlights

vman

whats the best out there?

I remember something about surefire, but not much else.

Talk about good timing, I was just thinking about starting an identical thread! Well, with the research I've done so far, I've considered the following keeping in mind I'm looking for something I can put in a pocket for bowhunting (all are LED):

1.) Surefire L4 Lumamax (about $160)
2.) Streamlight TL-2 LED (around $65)
3.) INOVA X0 (around $40-45)

The problem I have with all of the above choices is that they use 123A lithiums which are expensive. So...I set out to find one that uses AA's and I found this light which gets consistently great reviews at Amazon and the like:

Fenix L2D-Q5

It lists at just under $60. Here's an Amazon link for some reviews:

Fenix L2D at Amazon

Anyway, that's my preliminary findings. The ONLY possible issue I can find with the Fenix light is that it's 5.8" which is almost stretching it for pocket use but I think it'd work in a cargo pocket so I'm keeping it on my list of potentials. Everything else about it seems ideal. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

I have a Streamlight Stinger LED that I use for work. It's a little big for putting in a pocket, but if you use a pack that's not an issue. The high level is super bright and it's low level has something like a 6 hour run time. Batteries aren't really an issue because it's rechargable. I really like it.

i dont own a surefire, and i know the batts are expensive, but i have played with them and used them inthe woods at night, and all i have to say is, they are worth the investment.

the batts are not cheap, but i have a buddy who has had one for three seasons and the batts have not startded to fade yet. and the beam that thing puts out is incredible!

its on my list, but right now, its tough to justify $160+ on a flashlight...... some day!!!

Jason,
This is the one I have... surefire

I know, I know... I went a little overboard but I got really upset last year when I just hammered a doe with my son along and we were unable to recover it because my flashlight sucked. I went home and ordered this one... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Anyway I love the damn thing and have no regrets for purchasing it. I got made fun of by several people until it was time to use it. Anyway I think surefire makes a great product and many of their flashlights would suit your needs.

Im courious as to the difference between the 6p led and the g2 led. The G2 led for 65 bucks looks darn good.

All I know is I want a good light for this year.

Go for surefire, I also keep an extra pack of batteries in my pack, just in case. The light is awesome, I use it alot putting out decoys in the mornings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I know is I want a good light for this year. </div></div>

make a good shot when it counts and you wont have to worry about it richard.....

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I know is I want a good light for this year. </div></div>

make a good shot when it counts and you wont have to worry about it richard.....

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif</div></div>

Dont you have work to do?

I use a mini mag. Doesn't comepare to a $200 flashlight but it works when I need it. Plus you can buy 3 for probably $40 so you'll have 2 back ups and still have $160 in you're pocket.
Not bashing you that have them either they do look great but the price isn't in my budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I hate LEDs </div></div>

Why? I'm honestly interested in your explanation. I have personal bias against certain lights and would like to hear yours.

I have to mention that I have 2 of these, and they are awesome!! The only problem is that they are heavy and a little big, but other than that, they are the best.

Maglite

I have a Surefire G2 and an E2, both are about the same light except the G2 is plastic and about 1/3 the price. Both are really nice lights and extremely bright. I almost prefer the G2 when actually using it because the E2 is a bit smaller and hard to control. Neither are LED's but other than the bulb I think they are the same. I carry the G2 at work and the E2 in my hunting pack.

I also have a Streamlight Stinger, and although its a good light, I'd much rather have either of the Surefires. The light is more even, they are half the size, and they are at least as bright to my eye. I dont like a rechargeable for hunting because when they go dead your screwed. With the 123 batts I can pop in a new pair and I'm good to go with minimal delay.

I think run time is a little over rated, I can usually go an entire deer season on one set of batteries, unless I get into a really tough tracking job.

4-D Cell Maglite is really hard to beat. I dont care if you have to pound nails or track a deer. Little heavy and big for using to go to and from your stands. But you cant beat the realibility.

Dean

I use a cheap little Dorcy LED that I got at wal-mart for about $10. However, I keep a 3D cell maglight and a 3 magawatt spot light in the truck. I have only used the spotlight tracking a deer that a buddies kid shot, took 6 hours and EVERY battery we had was dead when we found her, except that little dorcy.

Top Bottom