Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Flathead Fishn

Nontypcl1

In the few years I've switched from mainly bass, crappie and waleye fishn to really concentrating on trying to hook into some big flathead. Let's just say I haven't perfected the art yet.

I've caught some nice cats but still feel like a rookie when lookn for flathead holes on the river. I mainly look for snags and undercut banks and toss a lively chub or sunfish up in there.

Any diehard catfisherman out there? Whats your tactics or suggestions?

Look for cover in areas with deep water but yet flowing at a so-so pace. Live bait and persistence are a flathead fisherman's ally.

Not sure if im allowed to do this but ill throw it out there anyways and get yelled at probably. haha. But if you want advice from a friendly flathead freak that is a catfish guide, on t.v. shows,seminars etc, go to catfishacademy.com he answers any questions i have. Also has a few videos.He fishes the rock river over near the quad cities in Illinois. Flatheads are a tricky fish but im up for the challenge. Hopefully someday i can consistently find them.

There are a ton of straight catfishing forums across the web. Catfish1.com is another great place for info.

Yeah catfish1 is good for all kinds of fishing information. I actually found catfishacademy through catfish1. Ive had problems with my boat, and theres a few guys on there who can answer any question you could ever imagine. Showing diagrams. etc. pretty convenient at times.

Bank poles are the only way to go. Love it been doing it since I was sh#tin yellow. Always a good time. The biggest one we ever caught was 49 pounder, that will get the heart a poundin, trying to get that thing in the boat.

Don't burn yourself out in one spot. I read a report of a study conducted by some ISU grad studetns. They basically hit snag piles with real heavy tackle. Jiggin hand sized green-sunnies and 8-10 inch creek chub. They wouldn't stay at a spot more than 20 minutes. From what I gathered they hit it awfully hard whenever they were out (mostly spring time) and would be lucky to land 2-5 five fish per day.

Like everything, patience and persistence...and lots of it.

People land flatheads during daylight hours all the time. But your chances increase ALOT at night. They roam the flats at night to find baitfish. Its also alot better to fish when the water is low. You can locate them alot better.
Im hitting the lower Skunk Friday night and Saturday morning. Going to throw out some live bluegill and a few fresh cut shad. See if i can get a couple cats in the boat. We have been able to catch 2-8 pounders all summer with dipbait but after a while i get burnt out on it. Time to sit and relax and wait for a biggun.

Live bait for flatheads.The bigger the bait the bigger the flathead.10 to 12 inch carp is what we use.I've got some pics from this last laborday to post when I get a free evening.We did pretty good.The 2 best were over 40.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KansasHeadHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Live bait for flatheads.The bigger the bait the bigger the flathead.10 to 12 inch carp is what we use.I've got some pics from this last laborday to post when I get a free evening.We did pretty good.The 2 best were over 40. </div></div>

I always miss the good years. I assume the water wasn't as high as when I came down?

Dad swears by leapord frogs. This picture is from 1988. The big one is a 35 pounder I think. He doesn't like the taste of the meat so he quit fishing for them. Only channel/blue cat now. I like the big fishy tasting fillets, but haven't had a chance to go in a long time.
dadflathead.jpg

Greg, you have the best bait in the world for flathead lines, those big orange koi around 10 inches long. Just don't get caught transporting them on Iowa waters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greg, you have the best bait in the world for flathead lines, those big orange koi around 10 inches long. Just don't get caught transporting them on Iowa waters. </div></div>

Shhhhhhh!!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif No I don't sell bait, I am a koi dealer only... If you want to buy some solid orange or white koi for your koi pond, I am having a summer clearance sale;)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greg, you have the best bait in the world for flathead lines, those big orange koi around 10 inches long. Just don't get caught transporting them on Iowa waters.</div></div>

That's funny!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KansasHeadHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Live bait for flatheads.The bigger the bait the bigger the flathead.10 to 12 inch carp is what we use.I've got some pics from this last laborday to post when I get a free evening.We did pretty good.The 2 best were over 40. </div></div>

I always miss the good years. I assume the water wasn't as high as when I came down? </div></div>

Yea, Matt you missed a good trip.Same river and spot I brought you.My brother fished it the following weekend and had one over 50 and 2 over 40.You're going to have to plan another trip.We will make sure the water level is stable this time. Maybe Ghost would like to join in.I think I heard him mention he likes setting lines and sipping a few Busch Lights. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KansasHeadHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KansasHeadHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Live bait for flatheads.The bigger the bait the bigger the flathead.10 to 12 inch carp is what we use.I've got some pics from this last laborday to post when I get a free evening.We did pretty good.The 2 best were over 40. </div></div>

I always miss the good years. I assume the water wasn't as high as when I came down? </div></div>

Yea, Matt you missed a good trip.Same river and spot I brought you.My brother fished it the following weekend and had one over 50 and 2 over 40.You're going to have to plan another trip.We will make sure the water level is stable this time. Maybe Ghost would like to join in.I think I heard him mention he likes setting lines and sipping a few Busch Lights. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif </div></div>

He does, but if I remember correctly once you get down your way the beer of choice changes to Natty Light Ice? Would love to come down, hopefully next time there's more caught because we sure were sorta hungry with the high water only producing 2 fish and me mis-netting one.

Top Bottom