Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

fletching jig

I

iowahunter28

I am thinking of buying a fletching jig, but I don't know what to buy. Straight fletch, right helical, or left helical. I am a right handed shooter and shoot both 3d and hunt. Any help would be appreciated.

I bought a Grayling fletching jig a few years ago and have been very happy with it. It only cost around $30-40 dollars. The bitzengerger jigs are very popular but more expensive. I only fletch about two dozen arrows a year, so the cheaper on suits me just fine. I have a right helical clamp and a straight one. Im a right handed shooter also. I fletch most of my arrows with the straight clamp using a slight offset and they fly just as good as those that I have fletched with the helical.

I actually just bought the Arizona fletching jig. You can do all three feathers/vanes at once. I am suprisingly very happy with it. I use a right offset on mine.

I use a Bitzenburger with a right helical......I guess I can't really compare it to any others since it's the only one I've used, but it does work very well and I think it'll last me my lifetime anyway. I like a little more spin on my arrows especially since I shoot fixed bladed broadheads. It seems to make a difference to me.
CRITR

i use a bitzenburger as well. use both straight and right helical but mainly use the straight one. WELL worth the money since they are made out of all metal, no plastic parts at all.

I shoot gold tips and was thinking about getting one of the Arizona jigs. I'm assuming I'll need the "Carbon" model, however the only options for fletching are straight or 6 degree right helical. What would everyone recommend? FYI..I'm currently shooting RM Snypers for broadheads but my try Muzzy/Montecs next season.

I use the same arrows and 4-blade muzzys and fletch my own shafts with the arizona EZ fletch carbon. It works well and I would recommend the right helical if you plan on shooting fixed blade broadheads. You may need a drop-away rest, if you don't already have one, for fletching clearance.

if you're going to fletch carbon with the EZ fletcher i do recommend the carbon fletcher one. the diameter of the arrow is obviously your limiting factor. as treerat stated having some helical with fixed blades help with arrow flight. personally i use a straight helical and am getting great flight with my gold tips and 4 bladed muzzy's. it's all in bow tuning i guess. don't be afraid to try a few arrows straight and a few with the right helical. all bows shoot a little different, you may find that one of them shoot better than the other. if you do end upwith a right helical i do recommend a drop/fall away rest as a traditional prong style will hit the fletching as the arrow goes through the prong.

good luck,

The only reason I know of..... in picking R helical over L would be if you shoot a recurve or longbow off of the shelf. The left helical provides better clearance of your hand if you are a R hand shooter and R helical is better for the L hand shooter.

I believe the helical will also make your "set up" more forgiving of shooting form mistakes.

What ever you choose, it's a matter of adjusting your rest on a compound. Like anything in the shooting sports, just keep consistent. If you tune with a straight fletch, don't interchange your arrows with helicals when your all set up.
waytogo.gif

Joe you can use mine. Save your money for college. Come by anytime and I'll show you how it works.

Who took that great avitar picture!
grin.gif

I have 2 bitzenburgers that are 20+ years old. One is set up for RW & the other LW.

I am right handed and usually have a mix of both in my back quiver. I have always shot off the shelf of my recurves and longbow. Never had any problems with either.

I shoot the same equipment 3D or hunting.

"Beware of the man who works only one tool, for he is probably good with it".
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom