Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fletching question

Critter

Life Member
Here's a question for you "veteran" fletcher's. Recieved a Bitzenburger jig and clamp for Christmas, fletched a dozen arrows only to realize that they pull off without a whole lot of effort. Doesn't seem to matter whether they're fletched directly to the arrow, or if they're fletched to an arrow wrap. Obviously I'm doing something wrong here. I'm using Duravanes adhered with Bohning Bond Tite glue. I set one vane, let it dry for five minutes then repeat the process for the other two, take it out of the jig and place a drop on the front of each vane and then let it all dry for at least 24 hours.
Is it the glue I'm using, or do I need to clean the arrow with a solvent?
Any way to remove the old glue from the arrow wraps without damaging them to the point where they have to be replaced?
I'd appreciate any pointers you guys want to give out. Thanks in advance.
CRITR

May be the fletchings, glue or something on the shaft. Change over to fletch tite glue, clean arrows with alcohol and try it again. As far as the glue on the wraps, sounds hopeless to get that off. Hope that helps

I too would use fletch tite and make sure to clean the arrow before gluing to get off any build up and make it more adhereable.

here's what i do...

with aluminum arrow i clean them off with acetone or an electrical cleaner that evaporates to no residue. then i'll use fletch tite to put the fletchigns on. if you're using vanes i'd wipe them down too. feathers don't matter much.

on carbon/graphite arrows i will rough the shaft up with a very fine grit sandpaper and then wipe them down a half dozen times with a clean damp rag and then let them dry throughly. on a carbon/graphite arrow i'll use bond tite or else if you're having trouble with that go to goat tuff (i think that's the name) glue.

any more questions just ask.

On my aluminums, I scrape the old fletching off with a razor blade, then clean them off with alcohol,or acetone, then let them set for a few minutes, the kind of glue that I use is called Fast Fletch. I bought it at Central Iowa Archery. It sets up in just a few seconds. I leave the clamps on for about 5 minutes then rotate them. It sticks great to arrows and one cam's wraps. Then just stand them up on their nocks for a few hours, then there ready to shoot. I use the same process on carbon's.
Good Luck

yeah, speaking of arrow wraps. if you use them just wipe the wrap off and use whatever glue you want.

I use AAE Fastset Gel. Works in a few seconds and bonds awesome to Carbon shafts. On the wraps I just take a little more time on them. I use somewhat dull knife to remove old vanes and wraps........a hair dryer for a few seconds helps to remove the wrap a little easier as well. When the vanes are attached you will ripple the vane before you can pull it off the shaft. Practice and dont be afraid to waste a few.

We had a couple of batches of vanes that just flat would not hold no matter what prep work we did or glue we used.
confused.gif
Try a different vane from a different manufacturer. And do everything else these guys have said. Then let us know.
beerchug.gif

I agree with Rudd. My buddy (1arrow) and I use AAE Fastset Gel and have no problems. I don't even clean my arrows anymore before putting it on. You will not be dissappointed with it. Just make sure you put the fletching exactly where you want it because it will bond instantly. If you are using wraps, let it set for about 15-30 seconds. I take a paper towel and wipe off excess glue around the vane right after the jig is off. You will have a perfectly fletched arrow and they shouldn't come off! Unless you are grouping super tight arrows on the target!
grin.gif
I don't seem to have that problem, unfortunately!
wall.gif

Actually I had a tube of Fletch Tite, but was afraid to use it because it didn't list anything about adhering to carbon arrows. I stripped off all the vanes that I put on with the Bond Tite, including the arrow wraps.(The Bond Tite I was using must have had a chemical reaction with the wraps and it actually somewhat melted the wraps) I cleaned one of the shafts with alcohol and refletched it with the Fletch Tite last night. I checked it this morning and it worked great. I put quite a bit of pressure on them and they didn't budge. Must have been the glue. Thanks for all the input guys, now I'm off to the I/W store to order some more wraps. Thanks again!
CRITR

Top Bottom