Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fletchings

Ghost

Life Member
I have a couple of questions regarding fletchings.

Do you shoot vanes or feathers and why?

When shooting a drop away rest, how do you orientate the cock feather, out, up or down or will it matter?

Thanks....Ghost

I don't own a drop away but my feeling is that it wouldn't matter, there should never be any contact.

Good question!

Pupster

I use vanes because of durability. If wasn't able to get great fletching clearence I would probably use feathers.

I don't think it matters on knocking preferences on the dropaway
26404-archer[1].gif
as long as the fletching will not get into your riser. I prefer cock feather up.

Like OneCam said... I too use vanes for the durability, however I put the cock feather down. With your dropaway rest I guess you could do it however you wanted tho.
waytogo.gif

i shoot vanes during turkey season when it's wetter weather but feathers during deer season.

i shoot with the cock feather up as already know Ghost.

Both of my Hoyts have the NAP Quik tune 4000 rests which are dropaways and still shoot feathers cock feather straight to the opposite of the riser. I do not worry about clearance but use the cock feather as one of my 3 anchor points. I have always shot with feathers and like the forgiveness I get with them. I use the feather waterproofing so I can still have good flight in wet weather and also think that my barred feathers have a more authentic appearance than plain vanes. (I know that is not a real good excuse on my part)

I use feathers myself. They just seem to fly truer and quieter. I would say that vanes are definately more durable though, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference if you are going to use a drop-away.
My rest is a Trophy Taker drop-away and I don't have a preference to cock feather. I did however take some digital video with my camera as I was shooting to make sure the feathers cleared the rest as I released. They did every time, but thats not to say that every drop away rest on the market is the same. Once you decide on a rest and your fletching, do some testing and tweaking to make sure you're getting total fletching clearance.
CRITRGITR

I like sending my turkey wing feathers to tru-flight. they will make 50 feathers for you out of your wing feathers for a small fee. I also use a TT and put the cock feather up... Just for confidence more than anything. I don't think it matters...

Worry less on your fletching hitting the riser and more with it hitting the conecting cable (nap 4000) or parachute style pull rope (TT). You may find you still need to shoot cock feather out to bypass the contact with these. Only exception to that was the shaky hunter, that big deep "v" don't get out of the way fast, or far enough on some bows. Cock feather up. Just what I've seen at the shop.

Feathers or vanes...ford or chevy. good luck.

I've shot vanes and feathers both and ended up with vanes because they last longer and they shoot pretty much the same either way. I have a Trap Door drop away rest and I wanted to test it to see if it made a difference so I shot four arrows and turned the nock a quarter turn every shot and it shot the same every time. After that I went with nock vane out to give me the most clearance from my cables and riser.

26404-archer[1].gif

Vanes for me. There cheaper, waterproof, quieter, faster, easier to fletch, more durable...did I mention cheaper?
waytogo.gif

My favorite vane is the Tru Flight. They have a more concave base and hold to the arrow shaft better.

What's a vane?

I thought all rests were glued to the handle?

Cock feather with Hens.

Did I miss a turn somewhere?
brick[1].gif
grin.gif

Top Bottom