Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Flintlock Pistol

Shovelbuck

I've always thought it would be fun to have and hunt with one but never have. I've been dealing for this one for a week or so and picked it up yesterday. I knew from photos that the gun was rough on the exterior but the owner stated the bore was good and it has a "Bill Large" barrel. Bill was considered the best barrel maker in the 50's thru mid 70's and his barrels are still highly sought after and collected today.
As expected, the gun was horrifying on the outside, plus the lock wouldn't stay on full cock.
First thing today I took her apart and cleaned everything with hot soapy water. What a difference it made! I then spent about 4 hours in crack sweaty heat trying to figure out the problem with the lock. I ended up having to restore the tumbler notch and sear spring but it now works great.
I new ahead of time that I will be reshaping the stock and now that the mechanics are working, it's time to make it look better. That ugly hump on the grip has got to go along with excess wood around the barrel and ramrod.
It sure did clean up good though.

Before..................................
picture.php

Currently...............................
picture.php

I actully held that flinter. You have turned an ugly firearm into a real nice pistol Jay. Way to go. :)

I'll be hunting deer with it in October.:way: I've never claimed to be a great pistol shot but here's three shots, offhand, from 25 yards. Works for me.:way:

DSCF0015.jpg

Top Bottom