Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Flood Pictures

Seth

Seeing as how in my area (Johnson County) they are calling this a "500 year Flood" I thought I'd post up some pics as I get them and encourage you guys to do the same. We were hauling sand all day for the sand baggers and we could hardly keep ahead of them and that was bringing it in 15 ton per truck times how many ever trucks were hauling.

This picture is of the Old Sutliff Bridge spanning the Cedar River. For those of you who have been there you know what an icon that bridge and tavern is. My mom took this pic I believe on the 9th of June and it is supposed to rise another 4 1/2 feet. Hopefully the old bridge holds firm or else NE Johnson County will lose a hell of a landmark.

Flood_pics_2008_003_Small_.jpg

Educational note: "500 year flood" does not mean that this is an event that comes along every 500 years, but it means that it is a 1 in 500 chance that it will flood like this in a particular year.

Personal note: Cool photo

I stopped out at Sutliff for a burger last Saturday night. Maybe should have taken a picture?? Hope it won't be the last time I saw the old bridge.

Thanks for the clarification on the 500 year flood Muddy. Believe it or not I actually LEARNED- yes I said "learned"- that in college while taking a geology course.

i feel bad for you guys/gals. I am in ames right now for work and it is terrible all of the flooding that you have. Hopefully you will get a break sometime soon, but it doesn't look like it tonight.

Upper Mississippi region here in MN has been dumped on with rain continuously for the last week and a half. Brace yourselves.

Down here in Burlington they are calling for it to hit 22.5 foot by Monday morning and its suppose to rise even more after that. At 22.5 a ton of homes and businesses will be flooded out. All you here on the radio is WE NEED SANDBAG VOLUNTEERS.

This is a picture from last month when the river was at 21.7
flood9.jpg

Right there between the Port of the Burlington and that big white building. "memorial auditorium". Is where the concerts are held all this week for Steamboat days. They have built a sandbag wall all the way around the place its pretty crazy. Last night Shinedown played. Tonight its Sugarland. Tomorrow is KC and the Sunshine Band. "Ill be skipping out on that one"! and Friday is Vince Neil i think. Im guessing they will have to cancel the shows that are on Saturday and Sunday. That water is gonna be surrounding the whole place and if some drunk guy decides to mess with the sandbag levee, things could get ugly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Educational note: "500 year flood" does not mean that this is an event that comes along every 500 years, but it means that it is a 1 in 500 chance that it will flood like this in a particular year.

Personal note: Cool photo </div></div>
That I did not know...nor ever would have guessed. Good luck to all of those in harms way.

Folks northwest and west of Burlington are taking tornadoes tonight. Steamboat days have been canceled as of tonight. Water coming fast and they have to prepare. Any word from NE Iowa from last night and this morning?

KCRG just reported that a section of the Sutliff Bridge has collapsed. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Very bummed out to hear about the Flooding for everyone. Please no more storms or rain!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> KCRG just reported that a section of the Sutliff Bridge has collapsed. </div></div>

Got a text yesterday about this and was bummed...even worse is what's happening down the river. JNRBRONC you know where I speak of...I have a lot of family and close friends that have been displaced by the Cedar. Where I grew up is totally under water and pretty much the whole town is flooded, but the river isn't suppose to crest until it rises another 3-5 feet. That will put my uncle's house completely under water and usually he's a good 250yds from the river. INSANE! My dad said they were watching the river rise over 4inches/hour yesterday...as they had buried a yard stick in my uncle's back yard.

I wish I could get there to help, but all the roads are closed.

I'm sure more pictures will be coming soon and they won't be pretty.

The occupant of this house moved out Monday. The house is a quarter to a half mile from the Cedar River. This is about three miles downstream from Cedar Bluff. I can only imagine what has happened in Cedar Bluff.
Cedar_River.JPG

I have some good friends in Cedar Bluff and it's the same story. Around 4 feet of water in the basement of those who are on the river front.

Here's some pics a little further down stream.

Mainstreet
main_street.jpg

Aunt and Uncle's house(blue in background) Friday morning.
Flood_002.jpg

Road in front of aunt and uncle's house Saturday
Norm_Skeeters_yard_on_the_left.jpg

Across town...same thing!
OLd_Hotel.jpg

Turtl - I'm not 100% positive, but those pics look like Snapper City to me... Im from Moscow.. wish i was back in the states to witness/help-out with all of this. fortunately my parents house is up on a very high bank right off of the river.. maybe i could send some sand from egypt to fill sand bags..;) This is all very unfortunate and I hope everyone affected gets through this o.k.

I'm heading out tonight with my buddy who lives in Mediapolis. He's taking me on a flood tour so we can get some video footage and pictures. I'll get some posted soon!

Top Bottom