Food Plot? Please help!!!

buck1979

Ok, here in Saskatchewan the average food plot is 100lb bag of wheat or peas every week in a pile....But I want to play around with some real food plots. I have 5 3-6 acre parcels ready to go for spring. Tractors, seeeders, all the equiptment. What is the ideal draw... 3 of these plots will be on the edge of alfalfa fields...so is there a point to them? Anyhow I want some crazy foodplot action, what do you all think will net the best results. Im not to concerned about trying to improve health of the local heards as there is an abundance of cereal crops, and alfalfa fields everywhere....The've already got that covered with no food shortage. I grew up farming so I have the basics kinda...but when it comes to food plots, I am clueless. I don't know what to plant, when, how, etc.. I know I want to create plots to try and hold the deer...from all the other piles of peas in the area /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif . Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I don't know much about Peas & how close they might be to Soybeans BUT Soybeans are my favorite for later in the season IF I plant anything, SOYBEANS are my 1st choice for anytime after Nov 10. Corn and clover (and alf-alfa BUT you have that already) would be my next 2 and I'd go with clover over beans IF I were hunting late Oct. Just my opinion from my experiences on my land. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
*One more to research would be Turnips and rape. (sounds like you also have plenty of winter wheat, rye and oats right?).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the ideal draw </div></div>

First...what can you grow up there?

I suspect the season is to short for corn?

There is a reason alfalfa, peas and cereal grains are grown in that region versus corn and soybeans.

We plant food plots just like the crops we normally grow here, the difference is that they remain standing after normal crops have been harvested and removed.

As Limb mentioned...standing corn here is almost impossible to beat, but that's here. We start planting when you guys still have a foot of snow!

Oats and brassicas planted at the proper times would be something different and the brassicas would remain even in cold weather.

Peas left standing would not be unlike us leaving soybeans standing.

Candy...that's what you want left, something that is a little different, either lush and green or like dried peas...the only ones left......... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks everyone.

Some people here grow a little corn, but the deer wont look at it. Even rolled corn or whole corn, they ont eat it.

Fall rye gets lots of attention usually where its planted, that could be an option.

In reality I want crack for deer, and it may not exist!

Being a fall planted food plot, would brassicas be an option? (Rape, Kale, etc.) I am asking this for the experts on this site because I for sure aren't one of them.

I would think a healthy stand of brassicas might make a big attractant up there... the deer might be able to get at them better than the alfalfa once the snow hits, and they put on quite a bit of biomass nonetheless.

I'm not positive but I'd guess there are strains developed to be grown in northern regions such as yours.

Brassicas would be my guess as well. 5 acres of GOOD brassicas should last quite a while into the fall. A summer planting of rape might be a great attractant. Most down here plant them in the middle of august, Im thinking you may want them planted closer to the middle of august?

Dean

I think the brassicas would perform well for you up there. They produce alot of biomass, are simple to grow and when they convert their starches over to sugars they are a dynamite attractant. I would try to break your plots up with a variety of things for the deer to choose from throughout your season. Even clover or a grazing variety of alfalfa, would add to the overall timeframe that the deer would utilize your plot. Or you could just Add some nitrogen fertilizer (with farmers permission) to the clover/alfalfa near a ambush site late in the summer to increase vegetative growth and you will have deer running across 100 acre alfalfa fields to get to your "sweetened" alfalfa that is full of new/tender growth. Is it your own ground? How about some soft mass producing trees? I think there are a few varieties of apples that will withstand your harsh winters. Just a few ideas

Man you guys are helpful!

No, it is not my property, but a long time non-hunting friends. He does not use the land, so I put what I could of it to alfalfa. The deer dont mind it, somedays there there, somedays not, never in winter. Not much draw because I know theres lots of deer there. So I want to improve upon that draw. Does fertilizing the alfalfa make a big difference?

Sorry to sound dumb, but what are brassicas? Grass type plants?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saskbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sorry to sound dumb, but what are brassicas? Grass type plants? </div></div>

No dumb questions here. Trust me I have asked Dbl.Tree my share. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

It is not a grass but more of a leafy plant. I think it is from the lettuce family.

Here is its definition: Any of various plants of the genus Brassica of the mustard family, including cabbage, broccoli, and turnip.

It looks like this.

1946DSC02815.JPG

1946DSC02836.JPG

1946DSC02835.JPG

I've heard of peole using turnups in Northern alberta alot. THat might be an idea!

Who;s food plot is that Risto?

What time of year do you plant this stuff?

How about fertilizer or any special soil preperations?

Sick of the questions yet?

I think Peas would be a good thing. When they harvest the peas here the deer are out there picking up every morsel left behind.

COuld I plant peas in with turnups. Peas for mid season feed and the brassicas for staying power into the winter?

Turnips and peas both create a pretty good canopy so they may choke each other out. Plus, the part of the peas you'll be using as a draw is the seed itself well after they mature. Brassicas and peas planted at the same time won't jive b/c brassicas mature alot faster and then they won't draw quite as well if they bolt ot get woody.

When the bulk of my garden was out I broadcast some wintergreens (brassicas) they came up well and now that they have froze they're getting walloped every night. They won't last long. Ideally I'd have liked to plant them a month earlier to get the most out of their growth before the frost. Planting brassicas around mid July would seem best for here.

What about planing one strip with the 12 foot seader of peas, skip 12 ft, then peas again, back and forth then go in altter and fill the 12 foot strips with brassicas??? Liek 12 ft wide rows?

Sounds like a great plan.....or go peas, then oats or something "green" in the strips b/w peas and pound them in before planting the brassicas, it would benefit the soil as a form of green manure. Paul would know better though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saskbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about planing one strip with the 12 foot seader of peas, skip 12 ft, then peas again, back and forth then go in altter and fill the 12 foot strips with brassicas??? Liek 12 ft wide rows? </div></div>

Something on that order would certainly work. Then the next year rotate and plant brassicas where the peas were.

Both of those "crops" would be left when everything else is gone so they could work well for you. You can also add a "third" strip and plant rye and oats.

Planting all three will allow you to watch and see what they eat and when...always fun to test things and see what works and when. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saskbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard of peole using turnups in Northern alberta alot. THat might be an idea!

Who;s food plot is that Risto?

What time of year do you plant this stuff?

How about fertilizer or any special soil preperations?

Sick of the questions yet? </div></div>

Nope, not sick of the questions. I know I have asked many to others here and am thankful they are very nice in helping me.

It was one of my last years foodplot. This year I have oats,rye, clover and peas in it.

I plant mine in early August and you might have to do yours sooner. Mine are not very big this year due to the lack of rain in NE Iowa.

The clover will grow into next year and will be plowed down. This will help with my brassicas which will go in next year. Brassica are big nitrogen users. They will need alot of fertilizer.

I do like Dbl. says I have a clover plot for the spring and summer months, rye, oats and peas for the fall and winter and brassica for the late winter.

Disclosure: Only reason I know any of this is because of the pros on this site. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Back