Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot Question

Walks Alone

I have a food plot located in the middle of a timber and have tried many different blends of turniups and other mixes. They have never growen great but there was always enough food I thought. The deer have never seemed interested in the plot and move throught the timber to the outside food plots which is fine. This year I soil sampled all of my plots and got all of the nutrients and Ph levels corrected so now I'm wondering what I should plant in the timber that will make it a hot spot. Any thoughts on what has worked well in the past?? Thanks,

It sounds like you are already on the right track by getting your soil sampled and then addressing your soil nutrients. But the other thing I would think of in this case is whether you are getting enough sunlight to the plot. Proper sun is more important than Ph, etc, in my opinion.

I have a couple of "inside the woods" plots and they are quite popular with the local deer herd, but I had to get fairly aggressive with neighboring trees to get enough sun to the ground. I suspect a chainsaw is what you may need in this case. :grin:

It sounds like you are already on the right track by getting your soil sampled and then addressing your soil nutrients. But the other thing I would think of in this case is whether you are getting enough sunlight to the plot. Proper sun is more important than Ph, etc, in my opinion.

I have a couple of "inside the woods" plots and they are quite popular with the local deer herd, but I had to get fairly aggressive with neighboring trees to get enough sun to the ground. I suspect a chainsaw is what you may need in this case. :grin:

X's 2, just wanted to add, we have had also had to go back in and cut more trees out,in order to get at least a good 4 to 6 hours of sunlight on our secluded timber plot's as far as our little tucked away plots in the timber area's we pretty much just stick with planting white clover's, brassica's and/ or winter wheat, Finally this year I am seeing good clover growth on one little plot I call the Sweet spot, It has taken a few years to get it established, Getting ready to hit it with some lime here soon, It is a awesome little setting , creek sits on both the south and east side of it, and the South is a beautiful ridge top full of white oaks.
Best of luck to you , I love little tucked away plot's have actually already been running a trail camera in that plot and the deer and turkey are loving it!

I went with Paul's winter wheat and white clover mix last fall in my hidden spot and it turned out great. The good thing about that mix is even if its small it can take a pounding from the herd and keep producing

I agree on the chainsaw as well, open it up and get some sun to your plot. I had great success doing that and planting Evolved Habitat 7 Card Stud last year (search the internet for the best price)...even with the lack of rain. The deer dug up the entire plot by the end of season...minus 4 of them that I shot out of the plot :). I purchased another 5 bags this year to mix into my other food plots as well. Now the impatient waiting game until fall gets here.

One more thought on getting sunlight to an interior plot...clearing the surrounding trees is not a 1x deal. I routinely remove a few trees each year around these interior plots as once you clear the skyline a little, there are some fast growing trees to jump into the newly open space.

Thanks for all the input everyone. My best estimate would be the plot only gets 4-5 hours of light a day (west sun) so that most likely has a lot to do with it. I talked to local coop about getting a clover blend and that is my plan as of now. Again thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Top Bottom