Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

food plot question

marshall

PMA Member
This is the first year i am giving a real attempt at establishing a food plot. I am planning to plant a brassicas mix and have already sprayed the weeds with roundup. I am planning to burn off the weeds sometime this week. My question is can I burn, then till up and plant all in the same day? Do i need to put down fertilizer and then wait a couple days to plant? Any advice on how i should proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Sorta depends on your equipment. Sounds like you don't have a drill which would be ideal if your weeds are dead and going to be burned. Disturbing the soil by tilling will generate new weed growth but shouldn't be as bad. Hopefully your brassicas can get out in front of the weeds and shade them out.

To answer your question, yes you can burn then till in the same day. Throw your fertilizer down after that and plant your seed. All in the same day is fine. I do it every year and get a good plot.

Try to get in before a rain and you will be off and running.

Good luck

Top Bottom