Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plots and Baiting

Highmark

PMA Member
Every year the same questions come up about baiting and food plots on a number of outdoor/hunting forums. I think we all would agree that the law is somewhat vague. While not made 100% clear, this older video with the DNR and the Drury's seem to clarify it to some extent.

My interpretation from what these DNR officers were saying was its considered baiting if you can bring it in and take it with you regarding food or nutrition attractants. If its something you plant its legal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9HVuEu21Mo

The one thing I am not clear about is mowing corn. Personally I don't grow corn so I don't mow it. "common agricultural practice" is allowed by the regs. Obviously mowing down corn is not a practice common to ag. However, it is clearly done by certain hunting "celebs" and has even been shown on TV. I don't really care..... just wondering what the official stance by the DNR is on the issue.

The one thing I am not clear about is mowing corn. Personally I don't grow corn so I don't mow it. "common agricultural practice" is allowed by the regs. Obviously mowing down corn is not a practice common to ag. However, it is clearly done by certain hunting "celebs" and has even been shown on TV. I don't really care..... just wondering what the official stance by the DNR is on the issue.

I got the impression if you plant it its a plot no matter what you do with it. If it isn't planted you can't hunt directly over it.

Bait” means grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts,
hay, salt, mineral blocks, or any other natural food
materials, commercial products containing natural
food materials, or by-products of such materials
transported to or placed in an area for the purpose
of attracting wildlife. Bait does not include food
placed during normal agricultural activities

Bill Winke makes some good comments on this page as well.

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/faq...-difference-between-baiting-and-planting-8059

I think the main point is its baiting when its concentrated in a very small area. Even a small food plot allows deer to move and feed all over it not directly in one spot.

Last edited:
I got the impression if you plant it its a plot no matter what you do with it. If it isn't planted you can't hunt directly over it.

Bait” means grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts,
hay, salt, mineral blocks, or any other natural food
materials, commercial products containing natural
food materials, or by-products of such materials
transported to or placed in an area for the purpose
of attracting wildlife. Bait does not include food
placed during normal agricultural activities

Bill Winke makes some good comments on this page as well.

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/faq...-difference-between-baiting-and-planting-8059

I think the main point is its baiting when its concentrated in a very small area. Even a small food plot allows deer to move and feed all over it not directly in one spot.

Understood... the one thing that is not clear is the NORMAL agricultural activities. It is not "normal" to mow corn, a valuable commodity.

Understood... the one thing that is not clear is the NORMAL agricultural activities. It is not "normal" to mow corn, a valuable commodity.

Maybe I'm reading to far into, but it says:
"Bait does not include food PLACED during normal agricultural activities." The key is how the food source is put in place. However, I understand what you are saying. For instance, if all that matters is how its placed, then we could grow a corn plot, combine it and dump all the shelled corn on the ground straight out of the combine right?

I seem to think its more relevant on how it got there (grown or placed) not if something is mowed or knocked over. Yes you can knock over corn but you don't have to beans, clover, rye, turnips.....etc etc.

No question the DNR or legislature should clarify it.

You hear this debate every year and every year it is the same. It is legal to bait if you have the money, land, and time to plant food plots (designed specifically for the purpose of drawing in deer). Coming from a part of the country where baiting is legal (Texas), I did not care for it. Not because I thought it was a despicable way to hunt, but because you would have to spend thousands of dollars just to keep the deer coming to your spot. To me this is the same principal as a food plot. I much prefer the satisfaction of harvesting an animal knowing I did not spend thousands of dollars feeding it, but that is because I do not have the extra money to spend. With all things considered if I did have the extra money and time I would love to have private land with large food plots on them, but I would not think of it any differently than the guys back in Texas that spend tons of cash filling feeders all year.

The DNR plants & mows sunflower or burns off wheat fields for doves without any problems and the rules read pretty much the same for them. As they are migratory, it's the feds that decide what's "normal ag practice" for dove fields. Anyone who hunts waterfowl will tell you it's the feds that are the real "sticklers" about anything.

You hear this debate every year and every year it is the same. It is legal to bait if you have the money, land, and time to plant food plots (designed specifically for the purpose of drawing in deer). Coming from a part of the country where baiting is legal (Texas), I did not care for it. Not because I thought it was a despicable way to hunt, but because you would have to spend thousands of dollars just to keep the deer coming to your spot. To me this is the same principal as a food plot. I much prefer the satisfaction of harvesting an animal knowing I did not spend thousands of dollars feeding it, but that is because I do not have the extra money to spend. With all things considered if I did have the extra money and time I would love to have private land with large food plots on them, but I would not think of it any differently than the guys back in Texas that spend tons of cash filling feeders all year.

Completely depends on the plot size and purpose. Many people plant (or do not harvest) simply for the benefit of wildlife making it thru the winter or getting a different nutritional source during the antler growing months. Some do hunt them and some do not. I know if you are smart you can go around to local seed dealers and pick up plenty of free or extremely low cost seed that they have left over from their test plots.

I guess someone planting CRP mix is legally baiting pheasants?

Well, disking up dirt, preparing a seed bed, planting, hope for rain, and see if it grows is not a for sure deal. Dumping a 50 pound bag of shell corn 20 yards from your stand is.

That's the difference.

I'm not trying to shoot farm raised or baited deer either one. Feel sorry for the people that have to.

Completely depends on the plot size and purpose. Many people plant (or do not harvest) simply for the benefit of wildlife making it thru the winter or getting a different nutritional source during the antler growing months. Some do hunt them and some do not. I know if you are smart you can go around to local seed dealers and pick up plenty of free or extremely low cost seed that they have left over from their test plots.

I guess someone planting CRP mix is legally baiting pheasants?

A lot of people do the same thing with supplemental feed, feed them all year and not hunt them. I am not against food plots as I think the guys that utilize them put in a lot of work and deserve the benefits they bring, and there is very much an upside to food plot and habitats. I just do not see the huge difference between placing a food source and growing a food source for the sole purpose of attracting deer. I will say this weather you are talking about guys or gals who plant food plots, or guys who feed all year (where it is legal) both groups do a lot of good for the deer herds. There are exceptions to every rule though.

A lot of people do the same thing with supplemental feed, feed them all year and not hunt them. I am not against food plots as I think the guys that utilize them put in a lot of work and deserve the benefits they bring, and there is very much an upside to food plot and habitats. I just do not see the huge difference between placing a food source and growing a food source for the sole purpose of attracting deer. I will say this weather you are talking about guys or gals who plant food plots, or guys who feed all year (where it is legal) both groups do a lot of good for the deer herds. There are exceptions to every rule though.

When you watch the DNR/Drury video they seem to indicate its more about the potential spread of disease with a bait pile vs even a small food plot that has them concerned. Also with a bait pile you are trying to pinpoint exactly where they will be. Even with small food plots that can be tough.

Next some will be calling it baiting when we hunt near oak tree's because they drop acorns.

I'm not saying you but I find it hypocritical anyone who thinks planting a food plot is baiting yet has no problem hinge cutting, putting out deer piss, rattling and calling deer into their stand. Really don't see any difference.

Well the definition of baiting is to place lure or food according to the dictionary. So it all is baiting, just depends on what the actual rule or c.o. decides right? Just needs to be defined more clearly. Far to ambiguous.

Well the definition of baiting is to place lure or food according to the dictionary. So it all is baiting, just depends on what the actual rule or c.o. decides right? Just needs to be defined more clearly. Far to ambiguous.

Agree it would be easy for them to make it more defined.

Last edited:
Technically its not "normal" to leave it there thru spring either.

Technically it is not "normal" to plant most of the items in a food plot and not harvest them. I do not know any farmers that plant items that can be harvested and sold as an income just leave them in the fields.

Technically it is not "normal" to plant most of the items in a food plot and not harvest them. I do not know any farmers that plant items that can be harvested and sold as an income just leave them in the fields.

Actually more and more farmers are using covercrops in the fall and plow them under in the spring, Rye, Turnips, and radishes are commonly used for this practice of conservative farming. I love it when the farmer plants rye and turnip mixes in his fields.

It's all baiting. But it takes so much "heart and sole" to grow food plots. At least that's what I'm hearing every year this debate comes up. Guy takes 3 acres worth of corn and dumps it in a pile it's lazy and baiting. If a guy plants 3 acres of corn then mows it? Not baiting. Evidentially because the guy doing the planting and mowing worked harder to get it done? But what if the guy with the pile of corn planted it on another farm, harvested it then hauled it to where he hunts? Technically he would have put more work into that then the guy that planted it and mowed it. Hmmmm........ Still baiting!

Top Bottom