Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plots and Cows

thebeav

I am wondering if anyone has had a food plot that they have had luck with in a pasture with cows. I'm trying to plant a small patch in a pasture that usually has cows on it until late October. It is in a tough place for the cows to get to because it is on the back side of a deep ditch, but I know they can get there if they want to. I know there probably isn't anything they won't eat but is there something they don't have a craving for as much but deer do. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

maybe some perennials such as clover mixed with winter rye. They'll take the grazing pressure and the rye should keep growing for a while once the cows are out.

Agreed, I might would try oats if you have access to a no-till drill. I have really good luck with that. Any kind of winter grass would do though.

your only solutions are: killing every cow - which I'm a big fan of & highly recommend.
Fencing off, not as difficult as it sounds.
Anything you plant, no matter how well it tolerates grazing, will get absolutely destroyed.

your only solutions are: killing every cow - which I'm a big fan of & highly recommend.
Fencing off, not as difficult as it sounds.
Anything you plant, no matter how well it tolerates grazing, will get absolutely destroyed.

Yeah what he said, but save me the steaks :D

maybe some perennials such as clover mixed with winter rye. They'll take the grazing pressure and the rye should keep growing for a while once the cows are out.

I'm glad you went on to mention the grazing pressure! Cows will definitely eat those plots up.

I'm thinking a fence would be called for in this case. Two wire electric usually will do it, unless the cows are out of grass on their side or the plot is more tempting. Can even be done with only one of the two wires being hot. My experience shows that one wire electric doesn't cut it, but maybe I'm dealing with hard headed (or thick leathered) cows! In your case, you could try putting it on the other side of the ditch than your plot so the cows will be looking at the ditch on the other side of the fence, which would be less appealing than a green food plot.

Great memories from last year - I had a lot of success planting plots for cows, it really brought them in and I got lucky & connected with the 30/30 at 150 yards - before they grazed the plots to the dirt of course. Obviously everyone will remember my famous trophy hunt, made about every major magazine cover in the country. Great trophy & memories. Now a full mount in my bedroom....
picture.php

Thanks guys...I didn't figure there was anything that they would stay away from but knew if there was someone on here would know it. I'm not sure that fencing off is an option because I don't own the land but it is something I could ask. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Great memories from last year - I had a lot of success planting plots for cows, it really brought them in and I got lucky & connected with the 30/30 at 150 yards - before they grazed the plots to the dirt of course. Obviously everyone will remember my famous trophy hunt, made about every major magazine cover in the country. Great trophy & memories. Now a full mount in my bedroom....

That pic never gets old....I laugh every time I see it :D

Thanks guys...I didn't figure there was anything that they would stay away from but knew if there was someone on here would know it. I'm not sure that fencing off is an option because I don't own the land but it is something I could ask. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Are the cows pulled out of there for winter? You could broadcast some clover seed and attract deer....once the cows are gone and it has some time to grow. That could be a cheap option to get something going for you and the farmer.

Heck, maybe they would pay for the seed and let you broadcast since their cows would receive the benefits when they are in there. I've seen a lot of deer feed in my neighbors cattle pastures once the cows are moved out of there.

I have had great success with clover and Dbbltree's mix in my smaller plots located in pastures, but I used a solar powered electric fence around them to keepthe cattle at bay (double wire since there was smaller calves in the pasture too). Deer used the plots even with the cattle in the pasture and not once did they get in to my plots. They did graze underneath the lower wire as far as they could reach, but it worked great.

I would think that if the owner is allowing a food plot for the deer, he/she wouldn't mind a fence to keep the cows out. Guess this may depend on who is paying for the plot and what it is. Might be something they don't want the cows to get to.

I have had great success with clover and Dbbltree's mix in my smaller plots located in pastures, but I used a solar powered electric fence around them to keepthe cattle at bay (double wire since there was smaller calves in the pasture too). Deer used the plots even with the cattle in the pasture and not once did they get in to my plots. They did graze underneath the lower wire as far as they could reach, but it worked great.

Exactly. Forgot to mention the calves in my post about a two wire fence. However, sometimes the cows are the problem with a one wire. Have to get the top wire high enough so they don't walk over it, which creates a need for the second wire below to stop any crawling under.

Top Bottom