Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plots and screening

stunmags

Has anyone ever scattered screening like miscathus in plots bigger than an acre throughout food plots? I am just thinking that maybe more deer would be confortable b/c they can't see every other deer in plot and would help provide a little buffer for them. I have a 2 acre bean plot that I was thinking of planting 25ft strips of screening in plot and stagger maybe 4-5 of those throughout plot. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Not really the same thing...but I have, in the past a couple of times, planted varying amounts of Egyptian Wheat where I thought it might provide a visual screen. One thing I noticed was that in the winter time, cold and snowy, deer showed a preference to bed right up against the EW, where the sun would be hitting them. It made sense to me, the EW provided some "structure" and cover, but I also suspect it was a few degrees warmer there too.

Agree w/ Dave. Use screens to shield plots successfully. A substantial more use in daylight hours, plus a great help with access. Well worth it.

Putting it in amongst the plot? I don't see what they would gain for an acre or two. Sounds like a PITA -- Lots of issues, more about practicality. If you use herbicides, you will constantly be trying to architect around them. What implements are you planting with? Would be limited on width, turning, etc.. Same thing always working around them.

The whole concept of deer "within sight" or can "see each other" is the latest dumb idea promoted on YouTube. I hunt a 5 acre field with 15+ deer in it a night, even feeding amongst turkeys etc.. They all coexist just fine.

I wonder how they survived before we had all this plot architecture? and designated bedding locations for them?? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I will say screening can also be useful to create funnels or directing travel.

This can be beneficial in terms of hunting the property, but not really designed to create barriers between deer or deer groups..

IMG_0136.jpg

Agree w/ Dave. Use screens to shield plots successfully. A substantial more use in daylight hours, plus a great help with access. Well worth it.

Putting it in amongst the plot? I don't see what they would gain for an acre or two. Sounds like a PITA -- Lots of issues, more about practicality. If you use herbicides, you will constantly be trying to architect around them. What implements are you planting with? Would be limited on width, turning, etc.. Same thing always working around them.

The whole concept of deer "within sight" or can "see each other" is the latest dumb idea promoted on YouTube. I hunt a 5 acre field with 15+ deer in it a night, even feeding amongst turkeys etc.. They all coexist just fine.

I wonder how they survived before we had all this plot architecture? and designated bedding locations for them?? :rolleyes:
New to all of this….just trying to learn as much as possible. Just thought I would suggest an idea. Yes I know they coexisted before, but just trying to make my property the best it can be from surroundings properties.

Has anyone ever scattered screening like miscathus in plots bigger than an acre throughout food plots? I am just thinking that maybe more deer would be confortable b/c they can't see every other deer in plot and would help provide a little buffer for them. I have a 2 acre bean plot that I was thinking of planting 25ft strips of screening in plot and stagger maybe 4-5 of those throughout plot. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Maybe I am misunderstanding your question, but that would turn into a real pain when it came time to spray your beans.

Top Bottom