Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

food plots in CRP?

ayr_aca_cs

I currently do not own any land, the property on which I hunt is mostly woods and crp, about 80 acres total. Also I am located in Ohio not Iowa. The land owner says that he only has the right to put a 1 acre food plot within the crp. That seemed pretty small to me, I would like to be able to a larger/ more plots on the property. How do I/we(the land owner) find out how to increase the amount of acreage for the plots? I also thought that if you don't harvest the plot that you could put just about any size in, is that true? Any help you guys could throw my way would be great. Thanks

The landowner needs talk to the folks who administer his CRP contract, most likely the NRCS (Natural Resources Conservation Service). The size of food plots is based on his total contract acreage and they need to approve the placement of the food plot (for soil conservation purposes it can't be placed on highly erodible areas).

Randy is correct, we also have a similar situation that you have. We can only put in a 3 acres of food plots in our CRP. Even small sections help tremendously so I would consider it even if you can only work in 1 acre

Kratz

Randy is correct, we also have a similar situation that you have. We can only put in a 3 acres of food plots in our CRP. Even small sections help tremendously so I would consider it even if you can only work in 1 acre

Kratz

On a similar subject, is there a list of approved food plot plants? Reading through double's posts has me interested in planting some different mixes that include brassicas and clovers rather than the usuall corn, beans, and sorghum. I cant even get those to last until fall, the deer pick them clean by about July. Not to say they are worthless, but for the amount of money invested in fertilizer and chemicals, they have little if any value by the time winter and fall roll around. Also, are there guidlines for plowing under certain plantings that are to be used as a "green manure" to help build the soil?

thanks

On a similar subject, is there a list of approved food plot plants?

Yes, at least in my county there is. My farm is in Davis County and there is a list of approved food plot options available through either the USDA or NRCS office. (I get those two mixed up.)

My CRP contract allows for 10% of my CRP acres to be devoted to food plots, but you have to follow some rules too in terms of no plots on HEL(Highly erodible) land, etc. Basically, the contacts at "my" office are really easy to work with and it has been no sweat getting them approved and so forth.

I don't know this for sure, but I think things can vary from one county to another from some things I have heard. I would contact the NRCS office in the county where the land is that you are envisioning the plots and go fro there.

I would just add that to some extent this is a case of "don't ask don't tell" in regards to what is approved...;)

Don't exceed the allowable size of the plot because they can see that via satellite pictures but otherwise no one is going to come out and look to see if you planted an "approved" plant....:rolleyes:

get the plot itself approved and keep it off from HEL and that's about all you really need to be concerned with.

The folks at NRCS have bigger fish to fry then worrying about "approved" plants in your food plot....:)

So what I am hearing is that the land owner may be able to go back and have is contract modified so that he may be able plant a little bit more? Does this cost him any money or just the time to do it? I really can't ask him to do things if it will cost him more money just do I can try and improve my hunting spot.

On a second thought does anyone know of the thread where dbltree posts pics and updates of his daily hunts? I thought last year that I was following a thread where he would put up pics from his hunts along with his kills. If there is still such a thread I would like to follow it again I really enjoyed it, because I wish I could get out as much as he did! Jealous much, of course I am!

So what I am hearing is that the land owner may be able to go back and have is contract modified so that he may be able plant a little bit more? Does this cost him any money or just the time to do it? I really can't ask him to do things if it will cost him more money just do I can try and improve my hunting spot.

I'm not sure about having the contract changed? Are you talking about increasing the actual food plot acres? You might even call the NRCS office yourself just to enquire in general without mentioning his land but what we do as landowners is a little different then asking someone else to take a risk with thier CRp contract...;)

On a second thought does anyone know of the thread where dbltree posts pics and updates of his daily hunts? I thought last year that I was following a thread where he would put up pics from his hunts along with his kills. If there is still such a thread I would like to follow it again I really enjoyed it, because I wish I could get out as much as he did! Jealous much, of course I am!

Because there is more to life then killing a big buck or even the outdoors itself, I have chosen to keep a journal or "life diary" on Outreach Outdoors where I can share my love for much more then just the outdoors.

I would certainly welcome you to read thru mine and the other great journals being kept there.

My Journal - Faith, Family and Outdoors

I have hundreds of pictures there so just don't attempt it if you have dialup...:D

Top Bottom