Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plots in the Timber

dtk913

I really would like to establish a few (3 or 4) small plots in the woods for next season. I am wondering what people have had good luck with for plots like this. I need plants that don't need full sun, and I obviously would like them to be a viable option for the deer during hunting season. I am thinking about clover in a couple spots just so that I would not have to plant them for a couple years, but am unsure about other options. I like hunting over winter wheat, turnips, and oats. Would a mix of those work ok in the conditions I will have?

Rye is going to be a great option for you. Clover will work but is going to require some sunlight for sure and some mowing throughout the growing season. Here is a thread on a food plot we did just inside the timber edge. The Hood Plot It worked out great for us the first fall but we didn't take care of it after that and it has gone back to weedy browse for the deer.

Some things to think about when putting a plot in the timber are...
-sunlight... or lack of (which you already mentioned)
-if you have larger black walnuts near by can release some toxins that may ruin the plot
-testing the soil and liming and fertilizing as needed is going to be beneficial to the plot.
-trees can take away water and nutrients from the plants as well, so during drought and other harsh conditions, it might factor into the grow of the plants.

Only one way to get the plot done and that is to get out and give it a shot! :way:

What would be a good option for a mowed trail that goes through the timber? Looking for something that would stay short enough to occassionally drive golf carts on, but yet good eating for the deer? The farm neighbors have a trail that they take golf carts on to visit each other. Seems like a great spot to add a plot on if they can still drive on it.. The thing zigs and zags all over the place back there..

Some other things I should mention:

- These sites will be relatively easy to access for mowing, planting and other maintenance

- We are willing and able to do as much clearing as we need to to make them work, within reason. I don't want to clearcut an acre of timber for a 1/4 acre plot.

- These plots will be on high ground, so water damage and/or flooding is really not a concern.

- I am looking at 1/4 or so acre plots that we can hunt over. We have larger plots in other areas of our property that we use for "feeding" the deer. We have 4 existing plots that are 1/2 acre to 4 acres in size already.

These sites will be relatively easy to access for mowing, planting and other maintenance
Perfect, that's going to be a big help then!

Clover could work well for you if you are able to mow the plot. A white clover like Alice White is really reliable. Soil testing would be a good thing to do as well. We actually planted Alice White and rye in late August and had a very good stand of white clover left the next year... we just didn't maintain it at all. We've tried establishing clovers in the spring without a cover crop like rye and haven't had near as good of luck as planting the plots in the fall.

One thing about clover is it is going to need a bit more sun, so some clearing probably would help but I'm not sure what your timber looks like in the area you want to plant... it's kinda a judment call on how much sun you think you are going to get it but in general more is better with clover I'd say.

Top Bottom