Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plots This Spring

buckwheat

i know someone who used bio logic and they really liked it. the only problem was the weeds like just as much as deer so spray, spray, spray weed killer before tou plant it.
good luck

I was just wondering what would work best for food plots this spring. There are so many different kinds of nutrition on the deer market now and I don't know what would work the best to attract and keep deer on my land as well as help the antler growth on bucks. Does certain types work better in Iowa?

I did a mixture on my property and had great results.
I am a Committee member in the Marshalltown NWTF Chapter. (National Wild Turkey Fed.) If you will become a member, (Attend a Banquet.(Our Banquet is April 6th)
The last couple years they have sent out a flyer. Saying that they would pay half the cost of a 25lb bag (Normal cost $51.00 + Pay the shipping charges) of there seed "Strut & Rut" (Mix 20% Alfalfa, 20% Red Clover 20% Empire Birdsfoots Trefoil 20% White Dutch Clover 20% Annuel Rye Grass) This is a Perennial.(Which means it will come back every year,up to 5 yrs)

Might metion another positive about the NWTF
Most of the seed mill plants Donate there leftover Corn, and soybeans, and sorgum seed to the DNR.
Which distribute it to local NWTF Chapters (Members Supporters) You can get free seed. I used it last year, and it did Excellent.....

I also bought Imperial Whitetail Clover, and the seed from DNR (Corn, and sorgum.)

The corn was not enough, it was gone before the season started. Need to plant alot more of that, and will next year. Great Late season food source.

Sorgum, was hit hard also anddid not last.

Whitetail Clover also did very well, and is a perennial.

Both NWTF & W.I. seed stayed green through the hunting season.

As far as getting started. Make sure you do a soil test. Local Agg. Centers can do this for you. Follow it's Recommendations. Lime, Fertilizer amounts.
Most these seed are best planted April / May
(After last frost is best) 2ed/3erd week in May is when I got mine in last year,and I had to compete with the weeds,that had laid dormant for Years, that came back with a vegence after Disking. You can use a hand spreader, to apply your seed.
I bought an old cultipacker from a farmer and cut down the size, to pull with my 4-wheeler.
Which I used before I applied the seed, to knock down dirt clogs. Then seeded, and went over again with the cultipacker to give seed good contact. Hope for alot of rain, which we got last year.
And keep it mowed 5" to 6" high.

I was getting discoraged, and had even wrote a letter to Whitetail Institute, (Which was never sent)Complaing on there lack of info. about weeds. Which they really don't talk about in their video.
Luckly I know some farmers, used there advice with mowing, and it turned out GREAT.

Top Bottom