Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food plots

We have tried a lot of mixes over the years but are stuck on the Winter Greens also. We had 3 different plots close together and the deer would walk through the 2 plots to get to the wintergreens. Works for our place.

My favorite 3 are Standing soybeans , Brassica mix, and Cereal Grain mix that has Oats, Rye, Winter wheat with Austrian Winter Peas. I have found out that you are better off giving the deer a smorgasboard. By giving these 3 offerings you will have deer hitting your plots from September all the way into Winter.

I like standing beans and overseed rye into them before a hard rain around late August//Early Sept. Great weed inhibitors ans give them a little more food.

I need to try those wintergreens though as hear good things.

I should have mentioned standing beans are the way to go. I have both of them every year along with oats and rye grain and clover but good choice spend the money on the greens deer love them. I plant mine around July 20th give or take a few days depending on the forecast

Late season, I've done it all- nothing competes with the beans UNLESS it's unusually warm weather & no snow. 2nd in line would be corn, followed by either Turnips/Radishes & then winter rye, winter peas, etc. I also like alfalfa on the right days.

I also planted a pumpkin patch this year my friend did it last year and the deer ate them up I have also heard they like them so we will see on that if I manage to grow any

Top Bottom