Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fooling Full House-The End Of A 2 Year History

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
Well, to say that I'm on cloud 9 right now is an understatement. This season could not have worked out any better for me, and for once, everything went as planned. On November 4th, shortly after 6pm, I put an arrow in a buck that I call Full House which put an end to a two year history. I think I'll start from the beginning, so sit back, relax, and grab your favorite beverage :D

August 2010
The summer of 2010 was a great summer for me in terms of big buck pictures. I had a handful of great deer on trail camera that would make me happy to put my tag on. One deer that I didn't think much of was a buck that was later dubbed 'Full House.' After running cameras all summer, my cuddeback only captured 3 pictures of Full House. He appeared to be 3.5 years old. The summer turned to fall and Full House never showed himself again on the farm. My cameras never captured any more shots of him, nor did I ever lay my eyes on him during the season or afterwards. I felt like he was likely just passing through and was living on a neighboring farm.
Full House; 3.5 years old
CDY_1064-2.jpg

Summer 2011
After not having the best shed season, I was ready to run trail cameras to see what bucks made it through the 2010 season. I ran cameras hard, and with the help of two of my buddies, Geoff Everly and Blake Lefler, we got some pictures of some great whitetails. In August I checked the camera and Full House showed back up. He had grown considerably, but due to the angle of the picture it was tough to tell how big he really was. Just like previous year, he disappeared after the one picture my cam captured of him. I figured that he would be gone, but I was wrong.
August 4th, 2011
5536-1.jpg

Shortly after getting the pictures of Full House I posted a few on iowawhitetail.com. It wasn't much longer when I received a PM from a member of this site. It turned out that he had just bought the farm directly adjacent to where I was getting pictures of Full House and a few other bucks, and he had also been getting pictures of the same whitetails. I immediately knew that this particular person had the same passion that I did for deer hunting, and it wasn't much longer and we were sharing pictures/information between each other. I feel like this relationship is going to help us out tremendously in the future, and to be honest, it's a lot of fun sharing information with one another! Good Luck JM, I hope you get a pig. Here are a few pictures that he shared with me. They gave me a better idea of what Full House turned into, and it was clear to me that he had jumped approximately 50inches in one year.
fullhouse2.jpg

PICT0515.jpg

PICT0040.jpg

With a recent job change I was not going to be able to hunt much, if at all in October. Because of this, I knew I had to be ready and prepared once my vacation started, so I decided that I would put all of my cameras out in full force on scrapes in mid-October and check them a few days before my vacation started. My reasoning behind this was to figure out what deer were where, and decide which farms I wanted to dedicate my time to. On October 30th Blake, Everly, and myself checked cameras. To my surprise, Full House showed back up on two of my cameras. To say that I was excited was an understatement. Full House was back on the farm, and I was very confident in killing him. He was actually my favorite buck out of all the deer on my cameras, and I had decided to hunt him hard once my vacation started.
749.jpg

772.jpg

Here is a link to a short video I made on October 31st where I talk about Full House and my desire to kill him;
http://chrisandblake.bowhuntingroad.com/2011/11/01/the-time-has-come/

November 2nd was my first day of vacation, and my first morning in the stand. Blake Lefler tagged along with the video camera to capture my season. The forecast for the day didn't look good, but I knew that I couldn't kill a buck while sleeping in my cozy bed at home. I ignored the weather forecasts, which called for heavy rains, and headed to the stand anyways. With thunder sounding off in the background, I knew I may be in store for a short hunt. The deer didn't move and the rain started coming down not 40 minutes into my hunt. I made the decision to get down and sneak out, and come back to hunt Full House a different day. November 3rd brought high winds and little deer movement for me, but with the amount of sign, and the pictures of Full House in the area, I decided to come back and hunt the same set on the 4th. The morning of the 4th was perfect with light winds and frost on the ground. 10am rolled around and I had not yet seen a deer when movement caught my eye to my right. I pulled up my binoculars and noticed a nice 4.5 year old 10pt that I called Rookie heading my direction. Rookie entered the field and once he crossed where I walked in, he put his nose to the ground and walked directly to the base of my tree never giving me a shot due to a strong quartering too angle.
Trail Cam Picture of Rookie;
4414-2.jpg

Still Video Image of Rookie Coming In;
IMAG0117951320639350917.jpg

Last edited:
After the close call with Rookie, Blake, who was taping, and I decided to pull the lone wolfs and try a new spot on the farm. We grabbed some lunch and headed back to the farm. I knew of an island in the middle of a large CRP field where I had seen some giants in the past, but had never hunted due to no adequate trees to place a stand. After packing in our stands, I immediately knew that I had to get a stand up on the ege of the island. The trail was heavy and there were rubs and scrapes all around the island. The island also sat directly between a bedding area and food source, which added to my excitement in hunting the area. After picking out a tree, and cutting for 40minutes, we were setup and ready to hunt.
trimmingtrees.jpg

At approximately 5:45 a small buck cruised over the hill and past our setup. Now, if only a big buck did the same thing I would be in business. Shortly after the small buck walked out of view I heard thrashing below me and to my left on the outside edge of the island. I knew it was a buck thrashing a tree, but due to how thick the trees were I couldn't see him. This went on for approximately 10minutes and light was starting to fade so I decided I had to do something to try to pull the buck out of the thick cover. I grunted a few times, did a snort wheeze, and lightly rattled. I put my antlers back up and looked back towards where I heard the thrashing coming from. My eyes caught movement coming my way and I immediatley saw that Full House was walking fast down a trail that would put him in front of my tree stand at less than 10 yards. When he was three steps from entering my shooting lane I drew my bow and Full House suddenly stopped. He had reached a slight rise where he could view the entire field, and he was just out of my shooting lane. Full House stood in one spot for what felt like forever (after reviewing the video footage it ended up being 3min 52sec) but I knew that if I drawed my bow down he would hear me. I fought the temptation to draw down and just before I was about to give up, Full House made a fatal mistake and began to walk out into the field.
Still Video Shot of Full House's Last Steps;
IMAG0120.jpg

I placed my pin behind his shoulder as best as I could and released an arrow. I watched as it hit right where I was aiming, just behind his front shoulder. Full House mule kicked and bolted out of the field. I felt like I had put a good shot on him, but after trailing buck for approximately 80yds we came to a spot where he stood and bled for awhile. We decided to back out and come back in the morning, which proved to be a wise decision. That night was rough and I could not sleep. My stomach was in knots. I arrived at the farm along with 5 of my friends and we started to track Full House. 100yards led to 200, and 200 to 300. Still no Full House, but lots of blood. Each step I took I began to become more discouraged. Were we going to find this buck? Did I make that bad of a shot? We continued on the trail and crested a small rise....and there he was. Full House was down! I couldn't believe what had just happened. I had just killed my #1hitlist buck, and on top of that it was on video for me to watch and enjoy for the rest of my life.

The story of Full House involved many people; The neighboring landowner who I shared information back and forth with, the landowner who allowed me to hunt, and all of my friends who helped me shed hunt, pick out stand locations, and run trail cameras. Taking down Full House really was a team effort....I was just the fortunate one to get the opportunity to release an arrow at him. After taking some pictures we put a tape to him and came up with a gross score of 182 4/8 making him my biggest whitetail yet. I couldn't be happier, and I'm still enjoying the moment. Good luck to those of you with tags left to fill, I look forward to reading your posts in the harvest forum. Thanks for reading.
IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

Can't say I'm surprised..... :grin:

Congrats all the way around! Amazing buck, amazing story!

:way:

Congrats again! Great write-up, and I'm glad I got to stare it with you! He's a true giant! You deserve it!

Chris,

That did not take as long as I thought it would. He is a true IA giant. Congratulations to someone who takes this sport extremely seriously. It's always nice to see that type of time and dedication rewarded.

Congrats again Chris on an amazing whitetail. You deserved every bit of that deer for the amount of time you put in to chasing them. It's great to see someone really appreciate what they have, well done my friend! :way:

Congrats man! Just goes to show what preparation and scouting can do. You truly seem to know the game and get how to put it all together. Awesome awesome awesome :way:

Dang what a buck! Thank you for sharing. What a great job telling the story and the pictures are awesome! :way:

Top Bottom