Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

For our Iowa City Friends...

NWBuck

PMA Member
I know there are several regulars on here from the Iowa City area. Our son Hunter is a Hawkeye freshman engineering major, and we are wondering if there is a place nearby where he can take his bow and target to shoot in preparation for the upcoming season? I did a quick search and pretty much everything I found was a membership and/or fee place. Not only is he an engineering student, but also a member of the Hawkeye Marching Band, so he doesn't have a tone of time or money to devote to a league, etc. He's a veteran bowhunter and is a better shot than I am, but is just looking for a place to brush up his skills for the upcoming season...whenever he has a weekend to hit the woods this fall. Thanks in advance...GO HAWKS!!

NWBuck

Johnson County Archers was free last time I knew. Same as the archery range out at Hawkeye Wildlife down past the rifle range. Might need his own target.

Gotta go thru North Liberty on HWY 965, go across the reservoir bridge, then take 1st left, Amana Rd or something. Both are Googleable
Screenshot_20170911-192012.jpg

Awesome place to go on Amana Road just south of Swisher. Really quick drive. There is a shooting range for guns, then a clay pigeon range, and then a bow range. The bow range has I think 6-7 huge targets from 10-70 yards. Also an elevated platform to shoot from. Its free and right on public land!
2200 Amana Road NW
Swisher, IA 52338

Thats the address to the gun range, if he keeps going down the road past that, he won't miss the bow range. Right off the road on the left hand side!

Johnson county archers is where I always shot! Haven't been around since 2008 but was always free.

Also plenty of state ground around there where he could go shoot around the hawkeye wildlife area if he had his own target.

Awesome place to go on Amana Road just south of Swisher. Really quick drive. There is a shooting range for guns, then a clay pigeon range, and then a bow range. The bow range has I think 6-7 huge targets from 10-70 yards. Also an elevated platform to shoot from. Its free and right on public land!
2200 Amana Road NW
Swisher, IA 52338

Thats the address to the gun range, if he keeps going down the road past that, he won't miss the bow range. Right off the road on the left hand side!

This is the address to the 2nd place I posted just FYI, didnt know they had targets. Sounds like good place

2200 Amana Road NW
Swisher, IA 52338

If I may brag just a little here :D...I helped on an Eagle Scout project that built those archery targets probably about 10 years ago now...AND...I was the adult sponsor and active helper/director of the Eagle Scout project that built the elevated shooting platform. :D Thank you, thank you very much! (In an Elvis voice.) :D

Those are great areas to shoot BTW. Also, depending on where your son is living, it might be a challenge to keep his bow there. If so, let me know, we live just outside of IC and if your son wants to keep his bow at my house and/or shoot here, he is welcome to. Just let me know...

Great offer from Daver. He doesn't even let me come over to shoot and I can ban him from the site!

Great offer from Daver. He doesn't even let me come over to shoot and I can ban him from the site!

Muddy, I would let you shoot over here...but my wife would not be happy with random arrows sticking out of the side of our house and/or our cars. I am sure you can appreciate that. :D:D:D

Daver is just wanting info on the " trailer buck hunting method ":D

That is totally correct!! ^^ :D Truth be told...I was hoping to talk the grandson into putting a decal advertising my company on the infamous deer slaying trailer...so when grandpa nails another big buck this year...free advertsing!! Score! :) But alas, Ishi has broken the code here and revealed my secret plan! Drats! :)

Ha ha...the trailer really doesn't move much (if at all) throughout the year, so it isn't much of a secret. And a company decal would only add great details to the story!! We sure hope Dad/Grandpa can put Trailer Buck 4 onto the forum this fall. Trail cam pics suggest there are a few candidates :D:D

NWBuck

Top Bottom