Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

For those who shun the wind and cattle pastures...

AIRASSAULT

PMA Member
Yesterday was in my top 5 best days of seeing movement in 13 yrs of bowhunting. I got in the tree a little bit before 1:50 and rattled right away. A 2.5 yr old 10 pt came running right in. I thought it might get interesting. At about 5:30 a 170ish gross bruiser came in chasing a doe to about 80 yards. I think the doe caught my wind because she turned and bolted back the way she came and sadly the buck followed. I was thankful just to be able to see one that big. After the evening sit was all said and done I saw 16 antlerless deer and 4 bucks! Everyone of them in and around an active timbered cattle pasture!

Sounds like a pretty good day to me. I'd take that anytime. I didn't have much moving at all this morning around me. I might have just picked the wrong stand.

I have a timber with cattle in it, and am skeptical about trying it tonight. The cattle don't spook the deer???

They don't seem to be spooking them by me. I also have a friend that leases out a 160 acre cattle pasture/timber and that place loads up with deer, big ones too, every year. I think if you have cattle standing under your tree, that would be different and the deer will probably stay away from the immediate vicinity, but they'll still be in there. I think the bucks like to chase does around in these timbered cattle pastures because there is usually an abundance of multi-flora rose bushes and other under growth that still gives them a sense of security, yet, there is a lot of good open ground for them to chase in.

Only time it has ever been a problem for me is if the cattle see me get in the stand. They come to the tree, look up, then stay for an hour or so. If you can get in without them seeing you, probably is not a big deal.

Yesterday was probably a top 5 all time sit for me as far as seeing deer and having them respond to calls. Absolutely amazing, had deer all around me from sun up until noonish but had to go home because I promised the wife I'd help her clean the house. Nothing older than 3 1/2 was sighted, but they were working and nudging does big time.

Top Bottom