Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Forage beans

We planted some in half of the planter boxes in our bean plots last year. They got a bit of a slow start due to drought conditions, but definitely grew taller and stayed green much longer than the conventional RR soybeans. Early on you couldn't see much difference, but by the time they matured you could easily pick out which rows were which. I can't say that deer in the plots showed much preference for one over the other though. And considering we get our conventional RR seed for free, and 2 bags of the forage beans were in the neighborhood of $300, I don't think we'll be doing it again.

I can't recall the name of the place, but we bought ours from an ag services store in Brookings SD. They would've shipped, but we had a family member passing through there on business about the time we ordered them so saved ourselves a few bucks in shipping costs. Good luck :way:

NWBuck

I have used them and as the name (forage) implies the ones I planted were designed more for the animals eating the leaves during growth. I also had very few actual pods. I wont be going back to them as regular RR soybeans when planted at a high rate per acre provide not only the leaf forage during the growing season but, a pod as well for late season utilization. More bang for the buck so to speak.

I would check with eagle seed company, they sell rr beans, both forage and grain in a mix, I believe it's $81 an acre, MFA is a dealer for them as well

I have used Eagle seeds the last couple of years and the Forage beans are awesome. They stay greener longer which is great for youth season and early bow season.

Top Bottom