Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Forget the wind, just hunt?

Bukmastr

Forget the wind, just hunt. Who has not heard that slogan? Well the argument might never cease. However after seeing an episode of Mythbusters today, and watching Adam and Jamie trying to trick a bloodhounds nose with all kinds of myths, I came up with an idea :idea:
I got onto there site and posted on there "Myth idea" forum, where you enter myths you would like them to solve on TV. I asked them to find out if its a myth or fact that you can fool a big bucks nose. If you have a minute, go to there forum and post to my link asking them to do that episode... I for one would really like to see it!!! Heck, you might even have something to add to my idea to make it better!!!

Here is the link:

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=6941912904&f=9701967776&m=1731956098&r=1731956098#1731956098

i watch this show all the time. it would be awesome if there was an episode that would solve some of the deer hunting mysteries. please take the time to register and fill in replies because i think they choose their "myths" to bust based on consumer attention

One of our officers had one of the best blood hounds in the nation. Unfortunately that dog had a terminal illness and died last year. He is getting a new pup next week and will begin training.

He and I will be working together in what we feel will help us both. I want to test the carbon / charcoal clothes, along with various scent eliminator sprays. He will in turn train his dog on lost hunter searches which he has been involved with in the past.

He is very confident that the scent elimination atttempts will do little to challenge the dog. I'll let you know how it goes. The training will span over the next couple of years.

If you have ideas on products to try or scenario ideas, let me know.

Thanks,

Wayne

Bowman- What are the scenarios that you already have in mind to try? The only one that I can think of that would tell you if scent control products really work would be to hide in an area and have the dog walk downwind of where you are hiding to see if he catches your scent. I think any tracking scenario wouldn't really give you an accurate result since a dog can follow a track on more than just human odor.

You should post your results when you guys do this. I think it would be interesting to see what you find out. Personally I don't think that the stuff won't be able to fool a dog- just like I don't think it can fool a deer.

Bloodhound has a much better nose than a whitetail..be hard to fool that based on anything. You find a product that will fool its nose, let me know
grin.gif

I believe it's true that dogs don't just track by "human" smell, but by distrubances made by people when they walk on the ground. Isn't this why they can track someone long after their "smell" would be gone from an area?

How would you know if the dog was smelling the person on their distrubances in the ground?
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I believe it's true that dogs don't just track by "human" smell, but by distrubances made by people when they walk on the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just read this somwhere recently

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe it's true that dogs don't just track by "human" smell, but by distrubances made by people when they walk on the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dogs can track by something refered to as ground disturbance. Think of a freshly mowed lawn or a recently plowed field. We can smell the cut grass or the fresh dirt. When a person walks across the ground they are crushing vegetation and scuffing the soil. The vegetation releases the odors that are inside the plant, and the scuffed dirt releases the odors that were underneath the surface. The place where the person's feet actually took a step smell different than the spaces in between steps. We probably can't detect it, but a dog can. The footsteps actually get a stronger odor with age. When we train we let the tracks age for about 20 minutes. That being said a 45 minute track is starting to get pretty old. That is were the human odor can be helpful on the track.

People are constantly shedding skin cells. These are called skin rafts. As you're sitting reading this you've actually shed millions of these "rafts". The cells have an odor that is distinctive to you. A dog can also detect the odor from these skin rafts and that is where the "human scent" that a dog is tracking comes from. When a dog tracks in an urban setting that is mostly concrete he is mostly tracking by following human scent. Where a person goes through a field or a lawn the dog follows using a combination of the two.

When a bloodhound who has a more sensitive nose than most dogs follows a really old track that is hours or even days old he is smelling the shed skin cells.

One of the coolest ways that I have heard of a bloodhound tracking is that the dog was tracking a suspect who was in a car. They had tracked the guy onto an interstate so they loaded the dog into a car and everytime they got to an exit they cast the dog around to see if they could figure out where the got got off at. The dog finally took off at an exit and the dog started tracking and led his handler into an area where they found the body of the guy's victim.

Sorry this is so long, when I get on a subject that interests me I tend to ramble, so I'll end with this. I would guess that a deer's nose is very comparable to a dog's nose. I highly doubt that simply putting on a lined jacket and pants would let you fool either one.

cool story, can't fool them dang dogs, but I have to agree with Shredder, I think a dogs nose is much better than the ole pesky whitetail.
grin.gif

I'm just wondering how they could do this myth bust. I will say, I where a scent lock suit and have had deer down wind of me many times, and they didn't spook, although they do keep their nose in the air like they can smell something but really can't get a definate smell on what they smell.

Just my experience with the stuff, I'm not obsessed with it, but I think it works.

Timekiller is dead on and obvously has more knowledge on this than I do. In the bloodhound scenarios the dog will be scenting on the skin cells (rafts) that are being left behind. If you've never seen it, it is neat to watch a bloodhound on a trail. Even though the person walked a straight line, the dog will trail left and right of the actual path, sometimes quite a ways, depending on the direction the wind currents carried the cells.

Shredder said it best......if we can fool the dog with the scent elimination products then it will most definately work on a whitetail.

Timekiller, to answer your question the only scenario that we are planning as of now is simulating a lost or failed to return home hunter / treestand fall, using the same creek walking approached that I use to "fool the whitetails."
confused.gif
Any ideas will be welcomed.

Top Bottom