Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Found dead deer

hunt iowa

Life Member
I have today received a copy of the letter being sent to all Fish & Wildlife Division, Parks, Recreation & Preserves Division, and Forest & Praries Division personell from Larry J. Wilson, Deputy Director of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources regarding policy for deer antlers.

This letter is the result of a letter written by me July 1, 1992.

The important part is that from November 29, 2001 henceforth deer that are found dead with NO illegal activity provable shall be the property of the person finding them. The finder needs to inform the local officer and receive from him a form stating the circumstances involved. The exception to this is that in the event of a dispute over the antlers and the property owner where found, the antlers shall go to the property owner. In the event of illegal activity being involved the antlers shall be given to the local officers supervisor for accounting purposes. The antlers MAY then be sold or put on public display in a suitable local facility. For instance a County Conservation facility.

It will be acceptable for any person to hunt for and/or take into possession shed deer antlers.

If I were a person who had had antlers seized from me that had no provable illegal activity connected to them I would formally request the return of those antlers. Recovery may take some persistence but may be dooable in some instances.

Job well done!

I have worked to get the word out for years with little luck. My very UserName stems from a buck found dead, undisputed, of natural causes, I could not pick up the skull. This action is long over due.
Thanks,

IAdroptine

Top Bottom