Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fran's temper

I don’t necessarily disagree with the “T” last night. Everybody in the gym or at home saw that was a blatant travel. I had a few words myself, but the TV got to hear me instead.

Hawkeyes basketball is back to being a good team, just good enough not to lose to bad teams.

I am a Hawk fan, however, its my opinion when we are in tight games in the closing minutes, we will lose more of them than win, right now.

We have an unscripted motion offense, which a lot of teams these days run. But I think you also have to have a playbook and utilize it. Im not saying we don’t have a playbook, but I couldn’t tell you for sure…I don’t see a lot of scripted plays being ran…especially late in the ball game when we need to get it to our “go to guys”, Marble or White.

Last night was a pretty good example. My opinion, there is no reason Marble shouldn’t have got the ball in the final seconds of OT. Instead he has two guys on him at half court…that’s a coaching mistake, we need to have something set up to get him the ball, then a back up if needed. But to me it didn’t look like he had a screen set for him to get the ball, they just thought he was going to be able to walk up and get the ball.

Also, We had 5 timeouts left in the second half with :06 left in the game, we were on a 12 minute Field Goal drought….at some point as a a coach, you think you would have called a time out and tried to set something up to get a good look with the guy you wanted to have that look. That doesn’t guarantee points, but I think you get my point.

Fran has the program back to where basketball is exciting, but I still find myself just as frustrated with the offensive side of the ball, even though we are on top of the PPG list. Defense keeps in contention with the high profile teams.

Just my 2 cents. I can tell you one thing, we are winning again and we havent seen that in a while and everyone is back to paying attention to Iowa basketball.

I think I'm going to be in the minority here, but here's my thought anyway. I am a Hawks fan, not nearly as die-hard as many, but a fan nonetheless. I do like what Fran has done with the team. But I cannot stand a coach who can't control his/her temper. Any person holding a coaching position at a school (college and down) is a teacher in my point of view. Yes a college coach is likely not teaching in a classroom like a high school coach, but they are still teaching. Up to and through college is a time for students to be taught and to learn. Not just education, but morals and life lessons as well. A coach who is willing to lose his temper is showing his students that it's okay to do so. Is it? I don't think so.

Another point is any paid coach (especially a college coach) is a professional. Is it okay in any other professional atmosphere to lose your temper and scream? No. It would be grounds for being fired in many other professions. So why is it accepted in the athletic field? Because the coach is passionate? I'm passionate about my job, is it okay if I scream and throw my fists in my office because some contractor shopped my bid? Uh, no.

Like I said, probably the minority, I just lose a lot of respect for coaches that can't control themselves.

I agree with the prior comments about motion offense, dominant offensive go-to guy (however, Marble is VERY close - the guy gets a lot of out his athletic ability), and point guard play. IA has a much better overall athletic lineup than 3-5 years ago. BUT, athletically they are not at the level of the top teams in the Big 10. I watched Creighton last night play St Johns after IA lost to MSU. Coach McDermott supplements his offense with set plays on a more often basis than what I have seen from IA. The Jays are less athletic than IA but because of their execution of plays, screens (off-side in particular) and quick ball reversals, they get Doug the ball in great post positions where he can score (even in cases where he is not the better athlete in "his" matchup). The guy is a very skilled player but his success is not from dominant athletic skills, they get him the ball in GREAT positions on the floor and at the RIGHT time.

Overall, IA is no question a very competitive team again in the conference and probably nationally. Coach Fran deserves alot of the credit for the change. Hopefully this season's successes can open up certain recruiting areas which have been closed off for over a decade.
Go HAWKS!!

I was pissed after the game. That is two losses now that could really be looked at as the Mcaffery losing with his techincals. Yes, it was clearly a travel, but control yourself. Instead you give Michigan State two more points. I also don't understand why McCabe is on the floor with less than 5 minutes to play. Why on earth we don't get it inside to Aaron White more is beyond me and I think Olesani should be playing more minutes.

I am huge Hawk fan and am excited to see the program turn around under McCaffery, but man, control yourself. It just drives me nuts that every loss they have had this season were completely were and should have been wins. Still a lot more season to go and time to improve.

I think I'm going to be in the minority here, but here's my thought anyway. I am a Hawks fan, not nearly as die-hard as many, but a fan nonetheless. I do like what Fran has done with the team. But I cannot stand a coach who can't control his/her temper. Any person holding a coaching position at a school (college and down) is a teacher in my point of view. Yes a college coach is likely not teaching in a classroom like a high school coach, but they are still teaching. Up to and through college is a time for students to be taught and to learn. Not just education, but morals and life lessons as well. A coach who is willing to lose his temper is showing his students that it's okay to do so. Is it? I don't think so.

Another point is any paid coach (especially a college coach) is a professional. Is it okay in any other professional atmosphere to lose your temper and scream? No. It would be grounds for being fired in many other professions. So why is it accepted in the athletic field? Because the coach is passionate? I'm passionate about my job, is it okay if I scream and throw my fists in my office because some contractor shopped my bid? Uh, no.

Like I said, probably the minority, I just lose a lot of respect for coaches that can't control themselves.

Amen dude...you said it better than I did, but same intent. You may be a minority, but even so, you and I are COMPLETELY on the same page!! The positive for me is that it gives me continuing motivation to be a positive influence on my team during practices and games...not a constant whiner. Thanks for your input LYON!

NWBuck

I think I'm going to be in the minority here, but here's my thought anyway. I am a Hawks fan, not nearly as die-hard as many, but a fan nonetheless. I do like what Fran has done with the team. But I cannot stand a coach who can't control his/her temper. Any person holding a coaching position at a school (college and down) is a teacher in my point of view. Yes a college coach is likely not teaching in a classroom like a high school coach, but they are still teaching. Up to and through college is a time for students to be taught and to learn. Not just education, but morals and life lessons as well. A coach who is willing to lose his temper is showing his students that it's okay to do so. Is it? I don't think so. Another point is any paid coach (especially a college coach) is a professional. Is it okay in any other professional atmosphere to lose your temper and scream? No. It would be grounds for being fired in many other professions. So why is it accepted in the athletic field? Because the coach is passionate? I'm passionate about my job, is it okay if I scream and throw my fists in my office because some contractor shopped my bid? Uh, no. Like I said, probably the minority, I just lose a lot of respect for coaches that can't control themselves.

Your right about this. I played football in college and my coach was a complete screamer. Every other word was an f bomb and I'm dead serious about that! It got to the point that I quit listening and tuned him out. His piss poor attitude rubbed off on us as players and that's never good.

But I cannot stand a coach who can't control his/her temper.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This turned me off to sports in junior high school. It was also combined with demeaning statements. Never participated after, which is probably good. Freed up lots of time to hunt, trap and fish after school. ;)

Missed free throws here, missed lay ups there, technical here, crappy call there. His temper does far more good for the team's motivation than it does bad. Overall, I thought the a lot of calls were typical Big 10 officiating...... poor. Defense in OT was outstanding but the offense just didn't seem to click. Gessell has proven he can handle a much needed shot in a tough spot. If he hadn't been body checked on the drive he would have scored easy. Bad thing is, most refs won't make the call at the end of the game, especially at the end of OT so you can't expect get the call.

Things are going great for Hawkeye hoops! I am looking forward to each conference game as well as the post season! Just as long as I don't have to watch Licklighter (sp?) and his 5'6" son on the court.....that was brutal!!

Go Hawks!

I agree with fin. I like coaches that show a little heart and passion. I wish Kirk would show a lil more.

Why not use one of your 5 timeouts on that last play of overtime? I thought that last play was like a mad scramble and they weren't really prepared on what they should do. I just don't think Iowa has the toughness right now to win against the top 3 teams in the big ten. Also how in the heck did Fran lift his leg that high to kick that notepad?! That was hilarious!

Top Bottom