Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Franz buck question

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
What do you suppose the 258" Franz buck is worth to a buyer on the open market? I'm not suggesting people should be deer hunting trying to win the "lotto" nor am I suggesting the deer should be sold, I am just curious.

I always wondered what a new world record typical would go for. I think that record is bound to fall soon. Just curious. nothing more.

There was speculation that Tony Lovstuen sold his buck for $100,000 to bass pro and that was over a decade ago. For comparison, that deer is the #1 hunter killed whitetail of all-time and was over 300" so it was a tic bigger.

There was speculation that Tony Lovstuen sold his buck for $100,000 to bass pro and that was over a decade ago. For comparison, that deer is the #1 hunter killed whitetail of all-time and was over 300" so it was a tic bigger.

Wow- I honestly thought it would be much more than that

I always said that if someone offered me good money like that to display my deer I wouldn't hesitate. Could easily get a replica made with that money and get a boat or whatever on the side. That deer will always be known as the Franz Buck and he'll always have the story to tell.

If ever the opportunity presents itself I will most likely sell and as long as the buyer pays for a replica. After the Andrews buck getting stolen and all the BS that goes on in today's society I don't want to have to worry about the original bringing all the unwanted headaches.

I think for your own sake, you would definitely want to go the replica route and sell it. I remember reading an article about how many bucks have been stolen and never turned back up.

Crazy that someone would do that, but surprising how many times it has happened!!

So- the Albia/Louvensten buck sold for $80,000 from what I was told. The Franz buck will likely initially be appraise at approximately $30-35,000. Now, appraisal value is what is appraised at....if it sells at half of its appraised value then that is good. This deer is big, and unique, but at the end of the day racks aren't worth as much as most believe or speculate.

So- the Albia/Louvensten buck sold for $80,000 from what I was told. The Franz buck will likely initially be appraise at approximately $30-35,000. Now, appraisal value is what is appraised at....if it sells at half of its appraised value then that is good. This deer is big, and unique, but at the end of the day racks aren't worth as much as most believe or speculate.

I suppose it all depends on how one interprets "value". It can have a HUGE value outside of the sell price of the antlers- Outfitter price goes up or more bookings if killed on their land- land prices could increase to out of state buyers or lease could increase for years - more visits on video or website - bigger advertising charge- more brand awareness - possible interest from larger tv shows -

I'm NOT SAYING that this is happening for you and TP- I just mean to make the point the value could be more than selling price and immediate impact

If ever the opportunity presents itself I will most likely sell and as long as the buyer pays for a replica. After the Andrews buck getting stolen and all the BS that goes on in today's society I don't want to have to worry about the original bringing all the unwanted headaches.

My feelings exactly.

Top Bottom