Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Free Seed

Seth

Well, kinda...

If anyone out there is still looking to put in a food plot- a small food plot- check out this link. Whitetail Institute is offering 7 packets of different plot seed (each packet plants 100 square feet, so 700 sq. ft. total) for less than $10.

I just ordered two samples that I am going to secretly put in. This works perfectly for me because I have stubborn landowners (Grandpa, Dad, and Uncle) who think food plots are just a waste of time. I even offered to pay for everything and wanted to put one in a spot that is unfarmed and not in CRP. Well I've got another spot in mind that is quite a bit smaller and is perfect for this- I hope. It will be my first plot so if it goes to hell then I'm only out $18 and some sweat off my brow. I'm gonna do the hard way rake job so we will see....

I'll try to take pics and give updates.

Free Samples

I always looked at that classic Whitetail Institute Ad when I was in college and BROKE! BUT...

Something to consider (of course, who cares and it's no big finanicial expense) is there is about 43,500 square feet in ONE ACRE. 700 square feet is 1.6% of ONE ACRE, so you'd need 63 of the $10 orders to get an acre. That would put your cost at $630 per acre. And if you actually did 1.6% of an acre, the deer would surely kill it in days.

Now, let's say you go to the co-op or something like Welter or Osenbaugh seeds and buy premium seed for one acre, let's say premium white clover and some grazing alf-alfa, 12 lbs TOTAL @ $3.50 a lbs= $42 for one full acre.

I just did this simple math so I might have made a mistake BUT I remember thinking about this in college (while I was in class bored to death!!! It kept me from sleeping- sometimes) and thinking it sounded far better (100 or 700 square feet- that's a ton!!) than it really was. Of course I am not knocking the idea and who really cares when you are spending $10 BUT something to consider.

I hear ya. I was thinking about it today and I've decided to plant it in late August or September in order to have a good chance of killing some freezer meat come opener.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, let's say you go to the co-op or something like Welter or Osenbaugh seeds and buy premium seed for one acre, let's say premium white clover and some grazing alf-alfa, 12 lbs TOTAL @ $3.50 a lbs= $42 for one full acre. </div></div>

I gotta agree with Skip...for 20 bucks you could plant a 1/2 acre or more of almost any kinds of seed from Welters.

Let us know how yours does though and welcome to another "addiction" even if it's only 700 sq feet! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Well taking heed to the advice of the knowledgeable people of this site I ordered a "supplement seed" I will call it, from Welters. Here is my plan: With the 2x free seed from Whitetail Institute I will plant approximately 6 or 7 14'x14' squares next to one another and see how they do. (Kind of a comparison test site) Filling in what they don't take up I have a pound of Welter's Alice White Clover.

Being it a small plot (and the only plot on the farm besides the 600 acres of corn and soybeans) I plan on planting it in Late July to Mid August in order to have a good chance of harvesting a deer over it come bow opener.

Suggestions and comments are more than welcome.

Be sure an do some sort of excusion cage in each plot to see how much each is getting hammered.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will plant approximately 6 or 7 14'x14' squares next to one another and see how they do. (Kind of a comparison test site) Filling in what they don't take up I have a pound of Welter's Alice White Clover.
</div></div>

Cool! I like Bonkers idea too, otherwise sometimes it's hard to really tell.

I would use cages but...I'm afraid they'd eat the doggone cage too... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom